The Drunken City cast showcases vulnerability

07845cfcacf85e15d47c9ee2e837e63b

By Christine Jeon     1/31/12 6:00pm

How would one interpret "The Drunken City?" Bachelorette party gone wrong? Anxiety of pre-wedding jitters? Adam Bock's play underlines a typical New York night of many drinks, high heels, city streets and playful giggles, but it's a sappy love story in disguise. However, this cast works together to deliver a complicated love story; their performance brilliantly and vulnerably captures the essence of what it means to feel empty inside.

Marnie (Martel College senior Elena White) is out with her girlfriends Melissa (Lovett College junior Avery K. Twitchell-Heyne) and Linda (Duncan College sophomore Faith Shapiro) to celebrate Marnie's engagement. They stumble across two guys, Frank (Will Rice College senior Nicholas Riggall) and Eddie (Hanszen College senior Aaron Tallman), who are also out for the night. Suddenly and unexpectedly, Marnie and Frank are locking lips, and the two decide to wander off. The frantic and overly panicked girlfriends decide to call their friend Bob (McMurtry College senior Matt Banks), in hopes of finding their soon-to-be bride. The complications unfold as Bock reveals throughout the play the truth behind each character's loneliness and fear.

The story in itself isn't the most original, but the cast succeeds in bringing Bock's tongue-tied script to life. The simple set of the fire hydrant and stop sign serve as a challenge for the actors to maintain pace and energy, especially in their more static scenes. Yet transitions remain smooth and refreshing, thanks to the built-in conveyor belt and projector that help move the scenes from one setting to the next. Some initial scenes reflect the lack of conviction in the actors' seemingly over-rehearsed lines, but the remainder of the play manifest excellent cast chemistry and credible acting.

White gives a top-notch performance, executing the balance of Marnie's confidence and fear. Riggall gives a surprisingly refreshing portrayal of the sappy and heartbroken Frank. The scene in which he tap-dances in front of Marnie to declare his love is absolutely charming and to die for. The chemistry between White and Riggall's characters is definitely present and is something to look forward to in the show.

The chemistry and openness of the supporting cast carries the play. In the scene where Melissa reveals to the audience the infidelity in her previous relationship, Twitchell-Heyne portrays her character's vulnerability to near perfection. Shapiro draws a few laughs playing the ditzy and drunk Linda but similarly succeeds in being a credible voice of reason. Theater veterans Tallman and Banks show off their acting finesse in arguably their best performances to date as Eddie and Bob. Tallman brings youth and naivete to his character, who yearns for love but just doesn't know how.

Despite some awkward dancing and a plethora of sappy lines, this well-delivered and funny performance is an apt reflection of adolescence.