Tuesday, December 07, 2021 — Houston, TX °

Tennis loses to Alabama

By Dan Elledge     2/22/12 6:00pm

Ever since the beginning of the spring season, freshman Natalie Beazant has exceeded expectations. Beazant has proven that when she plays is 1-on-1, she cannot lose. Going into last Friday's match against 21st-ranked University of Alabama, Beazant had amassed a singles record of 7-0. But in this matchup she was going to be tested, as she was playing the 15th-best singles player in America, Alabama sophomore Mary Anne MacFarlane.

Going into singles play, Beazant showed that she was not scared of MacFarlane. Beazant won a hard-fought first set 7-5 to take an early 1-0 lead. It seemed like after that she broke MacFarlane's spirit as she went on to sweep the second set 6-0 to take the match in straight sets and keep her undefeated record alive at 8-0.

However, that was the only bright spot for the Owls, as Alabama was able to destroy Rice in every other aspect of the match. With doubles, Beazant was not able to secure the victory as she and sophomore Domninique Harmath fell to the 39th ranked pairing of Alabama junior Alexa Guarachi and senior Courtney McLane 8-3. Senior Ana Guzman and junior Katie Gater lost their match 8-2, while sophomore Kimberly Anicete and freshman Stephanie Nguyen faced their own problems as they dropped their match 8-4.

Besides Beazant in singles, all of the Owls were wounded in their individual matches. Harmath fell to Guarachi in two sets, 6-1 and 7-5. Guzman was only able to win one game as she lost, 6-0 and 6-1, to McLane. Anicete and Nguyen each dropped their matches by scores of 6-1 and 6-3. Gater took her match to the third set before it was stopped because Alabama had already secured the victory. Since Gater was losing 1-0 in the third set, she was credited with the loss to officially give Alabama a 6-1 victory.

The Owls were scheduled to play against the University of Alabama at Birmingham on Sunday in their first conference match of the season, but it was postponed because of the tumultuous rain that hit the Birmingham area.

Volleyball sweeps San Diego in NCAA tourney, set for rematch with Texas

Rice volleyball will get another shot at No. 2 University of Texas, Austin after they swept the University of San Diego on Thursday in the first round of the NCAA tournament. The Owls took all three sets against the Toreros by at least five points, en route to the second victory in an NCAA tournament game in program history. After the game, head coach Genny Volpe said she was confident from the get-go. 

Does this count as progress? Football needs a more consistent formula

Most of the way through the 2019 season, I thought that Rice had some of the worst luck in all of college football. Through nine games, the Owls were winless, despite four one-score losses, including an eight-point loss to a Baylor University team that ended the season ranked in the top 15. All signs indicated that the Owls were much better than their 0-9 record and that their bad luck in close games was long overdue to flip. The Owls ended that season with a three-game winning streak, including two one-possession wins, appeared to confirm that theory.

Recap: Football ends season with comeback win over LA Tech

On Saturday, Rice football came back from a ten point deficit in the fourth quarter to defeat Louisiana Tech University 35-31 on Senior Day. The come-from-behind win snapped a four-game losing streak and tallied the Owls fourth win of the season, moving their record to 4-8 and 3-5 in Conference-USA.