Monday, September 21, 2020 — Houston, TX °

Slow Gmail switch protects best interests of students in long term

By Staff Editorial     2/14/12 6:00pm

After more than a year-long attempt to switch from Rice Webmail to Gmail, Information Technology and Google have finally signed a contract, meaning Rice students will begin using Gmail next semester (See story, pg. 1). University administrators decided to switch to Gmail because of student interest and the perceived usefulness of the Google applications associated with Gmail, such as Google Documents.

The success of this switch depended on Rice's ability to negotiate a deal with Google that would protect students' intellectual property rights. The length of time Rice took to sign with Google shows the university's commitment to keep students' best interests in mind. Under the terms and services that normal Gmail users accept when they make an account, users give Google the rights to everything that is sent through their emails. The year-long wait for Google services is worth it if it has ensured the safety of student's work.

Another issue with the switch to Gmail is that Google is, of course, in charge of running the servers. This means that at if Google crashes or if students need to access archives that Rice no longer has the power to troubleshoot these situations. Though the switch is a trade-off between complete email control and security, as email could be kept in servers in other countries across the world instead of on campus, the benefits and convenience of using Gmail campus-wide should definitely outweigh the small amount of potential risk, especially as the university seems to have taken every measure to ensure that Rice keeps all of its intellectual property rights.

Furthermore, IT worked with the Student Association, which voted for the switch, making Rice one of the only universities in the nation to involve student input in the decision.

How to safely vote in the presidential election

The upcoming presidential election may be the most important of our lifetime. It also comes in the middle of a life-changing pandemic that has seriously altered election administration. Although election procedures continue to be finalized, we now have a solid idea of what our options are for voting in November and as the election judge for Rice’s polling location this year, I’m here to break it all down for you.

To the administration: Reevaluate unpaid student labor

This March, when students across campus received an email announcement that classes were shifted to a remote format for the rest of the semester, many of us had one preliminary concern: How will we move out of our dorms? With piles of personal belongings remaining in empty dorms, the job of packing and moving boxes was relegated to students, most of whom did the job without pay. In an interview for an article in our features section this week, one student said he spent approximately 75 hours on the task.

Rice students must care about climate change and act accordingly

Recently, I was eating dinner outdoors when I saw a classmate throw a plastic Gatorade bottle in the trash can. I mentioned it, and she told me that she wasn’t recycling because there was still Gatorade in the bottle. When I suggested that she empty and rinse out the bottle to recycle it, she just waved her hand and laughed. I returned to my room, crushed — that same morning, my family in California’s Bay Area had awoken to another day of hazardous smoke and “snowing” ash from three nearby wildfires, and some of the sites of my childhood memories had burned to the ground.