Monday, September 21, 2020 — Houston, TX °

Online Commentary

In response to: "On-campus food offerings under-appreciated by student body"

I was at Rice between 2003 and 2007 and I'd have to say that overall the serveries do a damn good job, particularly given the number and cultural spread of people that they have to cook for. Sure, eating in the same place day after day might get a bit monotonous. But then again, so would going to the same restaurant three times a day, no matter how good it was. So, congrats to the servery staff for always doing a great job and cooking generally healthful and tasty food for Rice students and staff.

Anonymous

After spending time at both Rice and a peer institution (Duke University), the food at Rice tastes substantially better and is healthier. At very few other peer institutions (maybe Washington University in St. Louis or Cornell University) will you find cafeterias that bake gourmet cinnamon buns every Wednesday or that have so many executive chefs on staff. I met one of the dining directors when I was a student at Rice, and he told me that Dining runs a deficit every year because it wants Rice students to have high-quality food. When I was at Rice, I used to complain about the food, too, but I miss it a lot now.

Anonymous

How to safely vote in the presidential election

The upcoming presidential election may be the most important of our lifetime. It also comes in the middle of a life-changing pandemic that has seriously altered election administration. Although election procedures continue to be finalized, we now have a solid idea of what our options are for voting in November and as the election judge for Rice’s polling location this year, I’m here to break it all down for you.

To the administration: Reevaluate unpaid student labor

This March, when students across campus received an email announcement that classes were shifted to a remote format for the rest of the semester, many of us had one preliminary concern: How will we move out of our dorms? With piles of personal belongings remaining in empty dorms, the job of packing and moving boxes was relegated to students, most of whom did the job without pay. In an interview for an article in our features section this week, one student said he spent approximately 75 hours on the task.

Rice students must care about climate change and act accordingly

Recently, I was eating dinner outdoors when I saw a classmate throw a plastic Gatorade bottle in the trash can. I mentioned it, and she told me that she wasn’t recycling because there was still Gatorade in the bottle. When I suggested that she empty and rinse out the bottle to recycle it, she just waved her hand and laughed. I returned to my room, crushed — that same morning, my family in California’s Bay Area had awoken to another day of hazardous smoke and “snowing” ash from three nearby wildfires, and some of the sites of my childhood memories had burned to the ground.