Sunday, May 05, 2024 — Houston, TX

Words on the street: Worst case scenario

By Johanna Ohm     1/17/12 6:00pm

Dramatic images of the sun exploding and our entire universe being swallowed by a giant, gaping black hole collide with the less extreme: We could forget to turn the toaster off and find our breakfast burnt from negligence or sleep through an alarm on the morning of an all-important job interview. Worst-case scenarios are a constant focus in our lives, culture and society, and not only for the pessimists among us–or those following the Mayan calendar. The Lawndale Art Center has kick-started a new monthly "Speakeasy" discussion group to provoke conversation on contemporary cultural issues with this year's inaugural meeting tackling the theme of "Worst Case Scenario."

In the basement of the Contemporary Arts Museum, an eclectic group of artists and intellectuals gathered around the theme-appropriate black-clothed table with bottles of Shiner and plenty of white wine in hand. Worst-case scenarios are not subjects taken lightly, but with guest "provocateurs" leading discussion, even the most dour subject matters turned into droll conversation.

Wednesday night's discussion began with talk of the end of the world and the fears that are often associated with such apocalyptic considerations. A medley of people in the room allowed for a wide array of opinions and perspectives. A 70-year-old grandmother came vis-a-vis with the young, liberal art student; the scientist-astronomer argued string theory with a middle-aged hipster, all to spur on the question, "What is our worst-case scenario?" Opinions ranged from actual death to endless suffering to feelings of hopelessness or lack of understanding. Some rationalized the fears; others embraced them.

"Fear of death is an evolutionary imperative," argued an audience member with gray sideburns and an apparent scientific background.

Victoria, an artsy high-heeled, lipstick-wearing and very vocal participant, sat in the back of the room and questioned whether it was a fear of death or a lack of control that contributed to people's sense of dread of the impending world's end. She added that even if 2012 is not the end of the world, it could be the end of something greater.

"It's the end of an era, the end of an expanse of time that began with the Mayans, an incredible civilization, that just ends as we enter a new time in the history of the world."

The conversation slowly transitioned from superstition about the end of the world as we know it to general anxiety about death and a potential stop to time. Many voiced the opinion that there are things worse than endings. A Pakistani woman believed feeling powerless is one type of "worst case."

"The only consistent difference between a dream and a nightmare is the feeling of a lack of control," she said.

The evening segued into discussion of artwork like the New York Earth Room and the Broken Kilometer, postmodern works that often make viewers wonder about the future of artistic endeavors; other work was brought to the table, including the Rothko Chapel, which can incite feelings of both awe and fear, much like a hypothetical looming apocalypse. The night's discussion continued with people delving into topics of game theory, sublime experiences, human fears and understanding the unknown. Attendees agreed, disagreed and agreed to disagree.

Paula Newton, the Director of Education and Public Programs at the Contemporary Arts Museum, expressed excitement that the topics discussed at the forum were all topics many artists have recently been considering as the apocalypse gains in interest and popularity.

"Artists are intrigued about how it [the apocalypse] plays with what you know and what you don't know," Newton said.

The Speakeasies will take place at different museums or cultural venues each month. Next month's theme is "Melancholia" and will be at the Menil Collection in mid-February. For updates and venue information on upcoming Speakeasy conversations, go to www.camh.org.

Johanna Ohm is a Duncan College junior and Thresher Copy Editor. Words on the street is a column exploring literary events in Houston.