Sunday, October 25, 2020 — Houston, TX °

Athletics forum underscores types of improvements needed to ensure success of future Rice athletics

By Staff Editorial     1/25/12 6:00pm

Last Thursday, Jan. 19, the athletics department took a strong step in outlining its vision for the second century of Rice athletics by holding a one-and-a-half hour forum for Rice athletics' fans and supporters (see story, pg. 1). The Director of Athletics Rick Greenspan and President David Leebron discussed the merits of Rice student-athletes as well as the five pillars that Rice is choosing to erect its plan for the success of Rice athletics upon.

The forum was, by and large, a success, as many have long been clamoring for the current athletics administration to engage Rice's fanbase in actively seeking their opinions concerning the direction for Rice athletics. The presence of both Greenspan and Leebron showed that both sides are in accordance and are committed to this blueprint. Additionally, the fact that Stude Concert Hall was nearly full validates the belief that there are fervent supporters of Rice athletics that wish to see it improved. While Rice has achieved recent success in many of its 14 sports, most notably tennis, track and field, cross country and baseball, the "revenue" sports of football and men's basketball have not been competitive in relation to Rice's conference or academic peers for too long, something that must be the first priority of the athletic department.

In this world of college athletics driven by television contracts, advertising and athletic apparel sponsorships, it is critical that the athletics department's marketing efforts are vastly improved in order to market Rice athletics to the casual sports fan. The Thresher feels that Greenspan and his department need to improve the visibility of athletics in order to ensure that attendance numbers rapidly increase. The proposed facilities are an excellent start, but marketing Rice athletics as a cheaper alternative to Houston's professional sporting events and a superior product over the University of Houston's competitions against far-flung Big East opponents is crucial. Additionally, Greenspan must actively use his experience as an athletic director at a Big Ten conference to ensure that Rice is no longer an afterthought in future conference realignment discussions, as it was this past year.

The Thresher commends Leebron on his willingness to take a leading part in this forum. Leebron's frank and thorough answers of fans' questions, as well as his impressive knowledge of the conference realignment landscape in college athletics, confirms that Leebron is, perhaps, the most receptive Rice president in the last half-century to the idea that top-tier intercollegiate athletics are vital to the overall mission of this university. The president reminded the audience that Rice has overcome many obstacles in the past to meet its goals of becoming a world-class research university and that championship achievements in the realm of intercollegiate athletics are no different from any of these previous challenges. For this forthright and optimistic mindset, the Thresher feels that Leebron's administration is one that fosters the rejuvenation of athletics at Rice.

To students, the Thresher encourages greater support of Rice athletics through their attendance at athletic events. Be proactive in engaging student-athletes in your college and take pride in your ability to know these members of your university, an opportunity that is not easily afforded to students at other Division I institutions.

To alumni, the Thresher challenges that the proposed football facility, tennis facility and any other capital-intensive athletics projects are fulfilled by donation. Athletics are, in large part, the most conspicuous tie that each of you still has to the place where you spent four or more years of your life, and your support of this endeavor ensures that Rice will take a large step to becoming a university that people associate with both academic and athletic excellence.

Proposed pass/fail policy is antithetical to academic exploration

The Faculty Senate recently presented their proposed changes to the pass/fail policy, which include changing the threshold grade for pass to a C, preventing students from recycling the four allotted pass/fail designations and preventing a pass/fail from being converted to a letter grade after the deadline, even for classes that later become major requirements after the major is declared. The proposed changes to the pass/fail policy do not serve to ameliorate students’ academic integrity or academic performance, but rather unnecessarily limit flexibility and discourage intellectual curiosity and exploration. 

This election, down-ballot races determine the future of our climate

As the election approaches, we are undoubtedly aware of the presidential ticket. However, there are 45 more races that are going to appear on our ballots — all of them crucial elected positions that form the basis of Harris County. Each time we vote, we shape not just our country but also our local municipalities. These candidates are the people who directly determine what life looks like for Rice University and the Houstonians surrounding us — in terms of criminal justice, our tax dollars and our environment.