Styling Tips of the Week

By Ruby Gee     11/29/11 6:00pm

• Guys and girls alike can try adding a printed bow tie to their collar and sweater combination for an extra level of fun. This look works best if the dress shirt underneath is white.
  • A jewel-encrusted, removable collar is a trendy  and versatile fashion piece  that can spice up any solid-colored sweater. For sweaters with busier patterns, like Nordic or Floral, try the white Peter Pan collar  variation.
  • If you want to try the collar and sweater trend with a flowy skirt, tuck a more form-fitting button-up into your skirt, and layer a loose-fitting sweater over it. Finish your outfit off with a thin belt, which will accentuate your figure without overwhelming your outfit.

Garcia drafted by the Rays in the 14th round

Pitcher Roel Garcia became the latest Owl to turn pro on Tuesday when he was drafted by the Tampa Bay Rays in round 14 of the MLB Draft. According to Garcia, he barely remembers the moment he heard his name called because he was so overwhelmed with joy.

Michigan professor Amy Dittmar named Rice’s next provost

Amy Dittmar, the senior vice provost for academic and budgetary affairs and a professor of economics and finance at the University of Michigan, has been selected as Rice’s new provost, incoming president Reginald DesRoches announced Thursday. DesRoches, the current provost, will become Rice’s president on July 1, and Dittmar will start August 1.