Friday, September 25, 2020 — Houston, TX °

Rice's distinct identity undermined by our focus on comparisons to other elite universities

By Christoph Meyer     11/29/11 6:00pm

Many Rice students from outside the Southern United States can attest to the fact that our university is not exactly the most well-known or prestigious school on the coasts. Indeed, when telling someone from Massachusetts or Oregon about Rice, you are likely to be asked whether it's a small liberal arts school or to receive a blank stare. While there are some who have heard of Rice and a few who know what a great institution it really is, the fact of the matter is that our eventual alma mater simply does not carry the same weight as schools such as Stanford or the supposed Holy Grail known as Harvard. Here's a thought though: so what?

When I first chose to come to Rice, I heard many people describe it as "the Harvard of the South." Over the course of my time here, I have seen this analogy on T-shirts and heard it incorporated into jokes like "Rice: because not everyone can get into Harvard" or "Harvard: the Rice of the Northeast." I'll admit that I found these amusing at first, but I believe the comparison to Harvard, among other schools, seems to have gone too far. During "National Philanthropy Week," I stumbled across a rather large and obnoxious sign that said "Rice: Better than Harvard." While this board called attention to Rice's distinctive quality of life and happy students, my frustration overwhelmed my pride when I read this caption.

As an institution that ranked number one in both categories and has continuously succeeded in these areas, we should not feel the need to continuously compare ourselves to our peers. A gracious winner does not boast a victory in the face of an opponent. Our university has too much going for it, and does not need to compare itself to other more recognized institutions at every available opportunity.

While rankings among academic institutions are important, they should not be the focus of Rice's ambitions. Many of our university's greatest traditions and discoveries, from Beer Bike to the buckyball, do not stem from our desire to be better than other universities but simply to be our best. Of course, we have borrowed and perhaps even improved upon many great ideas from other universities, such as the residential college system that first started at Oxford and Cambridge. However, as a university we should strive to improve for the sake of being a great university, rather than one trying to pull ahead in the rankings.

Next year, Rice will very likely rank similarly among the other schools as we did this year and in years past. I hope that we can acknowledge and be proud of our standing without feeling the need to always overcome our peer universities. We are the Rice of the South and should not seek to be anything different. Continuously comparing ourselves to older and wealthier institutions only makes us look insecure and discontent. We should not strive to become more similar to other universities but continue our own legacy and write our own great history.

Throughout my time at Rice, I have realized that I would not want to have attended any other school, including Harvard. Many of us chose Rice for Rice and should continue to make this university a place we love, not a place that rivals or surpasses another school. Let us try to build Rice's reputation independently of other universities and focus on the things that really matter.

Christoph Meyer is a Hanszen College senior.

Houston youth: Overcome barriers and take over the polls

Despite the structural barriers facing many young people and people of color, often in tandem, we are ready to show up to the polls and make an impact on our communities this November... If you are a young Houstonian, join the movement to change the narrative that we are civically apathetic: get informed, register to vote, go to the polls and volunteer with local nonprofits or campaigns. 

Say something: Administration should respond to Willy’s statue sit-ins

Rice administration has yet to publicly respond to the demonstrations to remove Willy’s statue that began in the academic quad three weeks ago. Shifa Rahman, the first student to begin protesting regularly and primary organizer of the sit-ins, says administration has not reached out to address the situation in a private fashion either. As more students join the “Down with Willy” cause, pressure is mounting for the administration to respond. Why have they stayed silent for so long?  

Hands off Belarus: What can we do across the ocean

September 11, 2020. We are standing on a sidewalk by a skyscraper near West Loop 610. Around 40 people came to this protest, all dressed in red and white colors. We are waving red and white flags. Songs in Belarusian, Russian and English are playing from the speakers. Many cars passing by are honking and their drivers are waving to us. Along the freeway, there are boards and placards with signs: “Putin Keep Out of Belarus,” “Stop Violence In Belarus” and “Long Live Belarus.”