Monday, September 26, 2022 — Houston, TX

Letters to the Editor

To the Editor:

I was quite surprised and disappointed that you published a picture of an alleged sexual offender in the current issue of the Thresher. I was under the impression that on a college campus, of all places, presumed innocence was a maxim practiced by you and your staff. I understand the gravity of the charges against Mr. Steiner, but until he has his day in court, he is guilty of nothing. Publishing a picture of him will expose him to ridicule and in the worst case scenario violence. He will be ostracized from the Rice community, and dare I say anyone who might read your paper. It doesn't matter what Channel 13 says or what the District Attorney says. He is innocent until a jury of his peers says otherwise.

In our zeal to protect victims of crime we might overreact and do things that we question in hindsight, but we must remember that all people have a presumption of innocence guaranteed by our Constitution.

Brian Biekman is a Wiess College junior

edited 11/24/11 3:35am, corrected author name.

The Rice career fair fails Rice students

Comments like “What’s with the suit? What’s the occasion? Who’s getting married?” surrounded me as I strolled into my college commons one day last fall. It caught me off guard; why am I the only one dressed up on career fair day? My bioengineering friend quickly answered my question. “Why should I bother going to the career fair?” he said. “There’s no bioengineering companies there.” He’s absolutely right. But the problem extends beyond just bioengineering.

Dare to be wise

In the 18th Century, Immanuel Kant (often considered the central figure in modern philosophy) used the phrase Spaere aude in a 1784 essay titled “Answering the Question: What is Enlightenment.”  Translated from Latin, it means “dare to know,” or in some cases, “dare to be wise.”  Kant argued our inability to think for ourselves was due to fear, not due to a lack of intellect.  In the opening paragraph of his essay, Kant states “Have the courage to use your own reason—that is the motto of enlightenment.”

Support diversity in the arts in Houston

The Oscars may be so white, but Houston art isn’t — as long as you’re looking in the right places. It is all too true that arts organizations still fall short of creating accessible spaces with equitable representation of artists. For instance, white men still make up the majority of artists represented in prominent museums across the United States. Even with increased attention to elevating the work of women artists and an uptick in women-only art shows and exhibitions focused on the work of underrepresented artists, only 11% of permanent acquisitions by major American art museums from 2008 to 2019 were by women; of that 11%, only 3.3.% were by Black women artists.