Tuesday, September 27, 2022 — Houston, TX

ESTHER waitlist needs tweaks

By Staff Editorial     11/15/11 6:00pm

Among many of its recent upgrades, the Office of the Registrar has added a waitlist feature to ESTHER's course registration (see story, pg. 1). While the waitlist restored some order to the special-registration frenzy that inevitably follows normal ESTHER registration, it was not without problems. Most notably, seniors needing a class to graduate were initially unable to special-register for a class with priority because pofessors were prohibited from signing any forms whatsoever.

Fortunately in a follow-up email on its procedures, the Registrar's Office has added a procedure by which graduating seniors who need a specific class to graduate may petition to skip the waitlist. Unfortunately, the waitlist is still impartial about the students' majors as they attempt to enroll in the class. Currently, a student taking a course as a totally free elective may gain admittance before a student who needs the course to stay on track for his or her major. Ideally, the waitlist will gain the ability to differentiate and prioritize students on the waitlist by factors such as seniority and major instead of purely in a first-come, first-served manner. The waitlist is a great idea, but it needs oversight and discretion. A student's academic path should not be decided purely by the arbitrary seconds which separate positions on the waitlist.

The Rice career fair fails Rice students

Comments like “What’s with the suit? What’s the occasion? Who’s getting married?” surrounded me as I strolled into my college commons one day last fall. It caught me off guard; why am I the only one dressed up on career fair day? My bioengineering friend quickly answered my question. “Why should I bother going to the career fair?” he said. “There’s no bioengineering companies there.” He’s absolutely right. But the problem extends beyond just bioengineering.

Dare to be wise

In the 18th Century, Immanuel Kant (often considered the central figure in modern philosophy) used the phrase Spaere aude in a 1784 essay titled “Answering the Question: What is Enlightenment.”  Translated from Latin, it means “dare to know,” or in some cases, “dare to be wise.”  Kant argued our inability to think for ourselves was due to fear, not due to a lack of intellect.  In the opening paragraph of his essay, Kant states “Have the courage to use your own reason—that is the motto of enlightenment.”

Support diversity in the arts in Houston

The Oscars may be so white, but Houston art isn’t — as long as you’re looking in the right places. It is all too true that arts organizations still fall short of creating accessible spaces with equitable representation of artists. For instance, white men still make up the majority of artists represented in prominent museums across the United States. Even with increased attention to elevating the work of women artists and an uptick in women-only art shows and exhibitions focused on the work of underrepresented artists, only 11% of permanent acquisitions by major American art museums from 2008 to 2019 were by women; of that 11%, only 3.3.% were by Black women artists.