Saturday, September 26, 2020 — Houston, TX °

Baker 13 incident unfair for Baker student

By Connor Hayes     11/15/11 6:00pm

On Oct. 31, 2008 I ran Baker 13 for the first time. That night I trotted around in all my glory, proud to be participating in such a storied tradition. After all, Baker 13 on Halloween is one of the few chances in your life where you can run naked with over 250 of your closest friends. Otherwise, you have to wait until your 60s when you join that nudist colony outside of Boca Raton that your awkward uncle always fantasizes about. In any event, I was proud to participate in the former instead of anticipating the latter.

All 250 of those who ran with me that night probably remember it not for the exciting time they had streaking across campus, but instead for the moment when the proverbial shit hit the fan. Or, in this case, the moment the butt hit the window. The other runners and I rounded our final turn after attending an alumni wedding at Valhalla and planned to pass Fondren Library on our way back to Baker. Then, with a loud crash, the night changed dramatically for a few of us.

A friend of mine shattered one of the giant quad-facing windows in Fondren in an attempt to "stamp" it with his butt print. A common occurrence during Baker 13, I might add. Not only was the window broken, however, his butt was as well. It wasn't a pretty sight at all. Let's just say that this much blood streaming from a butt should be limited to very, very few situations. I'm not really even sure what any of those situations might be — however, this was not one of them.

After dealing with a night at the hospital on Halloween, medical expenses and general humiliation, this student was asked to pay Rice University for the cost of the window. At the time, the Thresher reported that the estimated cost was $3,000.

Fast forward to Halloween night 2011. I, now a member of the working class, am cozied up in my apartment on a Monday night enjoying reruns of the "Golden Girls" and a six pack of Bud Ice. Little did I know, history was repeating itself. Another student, a current Bakerite, suffered the same accident on the very same window. There was but one stark difference between the 2008 and 2011 accidents, however. The second time around the window would cost $15,000.

Now, I'm no doctor, but a 500 percent increase in the cost of a window over three years is completely unprecedented. Before you throw all of your money into the apparently lucrative window markets, let me walk you through a few reasons to hold off. Apple Inc., for example, had a closing stock price of $107.59 on Oct. 27, 2008. Three years later on Oct. 31, 2011 it closed at $400.24 — an absolutely stunning 372 percent increase. So, Rice University means to tell me that during this same time period the cost of a single window outperformed the strongest company on the market by over 125 percent? This, friends, seems unlikely. Aside from just deciding on an arbitrary number, I have absolutely no clue how this $15,000 figure could have possibly been reached.

The student facing these charges is now essentially handcuffed by the university. Not only can he not afford to pay out of pocket, he also won't be able to continue his education at Rice if he doesn't foot the bill. This week, in a cry for help, he launched saveduncansbutt.com where students, friends, faculty and alumni can give financial support. I urge those who appreciate Rice's quirkiness, sense of tradition and values to do whatever they can to help this student. It would be a shame to see a great member of our extended community leave because of an accident that took place during a university tradition and without malicious intent. If the administration isn't willing to pony up, let's show them that we are.

On the university's website they use a great little phrase to attract potential undergraduates. It goes a little something like this: "At Rice, we take knowledge seriously." In that case, here's some serious knowledge, Rice. Your students, your traditions and your college system are what make you truly great. Build what you may, purchase what you must, but those who loved their time at Rice will remember it for the things that can't be constructed or purchased. You need them to be the university that you are. When they need you, don't just turn the other cheek.

Connor Hayes is Baker College class of 2011and former Thresher Backpage editor.

Houston youth: Overcome barriers and take over the polls

Despite the structural barriers facing many young people and people of color, often in tandem, we are ready to show up to the polls and make an impact on our communities this November... If you are a young Houstonian, join the movement to change the narrative that we are civically apathetic: get informed, register to vote, go to the polls and volunteer with local nonprofits or campaigns. 

Say something: Administration should respond to Willy’s statue sit-ins

Rice administration has yet to publicly respond to the demonstrations to remove Willy’s statue that began in the academic quad three weeks ago. Shifa Rahman, the first student to begin protesting regularly and primary organizer of the sit-ins, says administration has not reached out to address the situation in a private fashion either. As more students join the “Down with Willy” cause, pressure is mounting for the administration to respond. Why have they stayed silent for so long?  

Hands off Belarus: What can we do across the ocean

September 11, 2020. We are standing on a sidewalk by a skyscraper near West Loop 610. Around 40 people came to this protest, all dressed in red and white colors. We are waving red and white flags. Songs in Belarusian, Russian and English are playing from the speakers. Many cars passing by are honking and their drivers are waving to us. Along the freeway, there are boards and placards with signs: “Putin Keep Out of Belarus,” “Stop Violence In Belarus” and “Long Live Belarus.”