Wednesday, January 27, 2021 — Houston, TX 46°

What's Their Secret

By Jennifer Shen     10/19/11 7:00pm

Devika Subramanian grew up in a college campus neighborhood in Rourkela, a relatively small steel town in the eastern part of India with a population of around 100,000. She said that she has always been very interested in science and math, and her family, friends and teachers were all very encouraging with her interest.

Her class, COMP 140: Computational Thinking, has proven to be very popular, with the number of students growing from around 38 to 114 over four years. Subramanian said she is proud that COMP 140 has helped to bring the number of computer science majors from around 21 to 75, and she is even more proud that more than 21 of those are women.

So what's her secret?

At the age of 16, Subramanian got into a very competitive university in India, the Indian Institute of Technology Kharagpur. She said the structure of the school was very much like Rice University, with a comparable residential college system with affiliated faculty — similar to masters and associates at Rice.

"Perhaps the best years of my life were my undergraduate years," Subramanian said. "We had a very close connection with our teachers, [which is also] one of the things I like about Rice."

Even though Subramanian really enjoyed the challenging curriculum and excellent peers she had at IIT, she felt intimidated at first because of her young age and gender, since there were only two female engineers in her class of 300.

However, Subramanian recalls a turning point when she managed to score at the top of her class on the final exam in one of the toughest first-semester engineering classes every

engineering freshman had to take.

"That was the first time I realized I may have a future as an engineer," Subramanian said.

Subramanian said her professor even invited her to talk to him since she was the first student to ever ace the exam.

"And [the professor] said, ‘I can't believe a woman did this ... and I'll make you an honorary man,'" Subramanian said. "I told him, ‘I don't want to be an honorary man. I'm a woman, and you better accept it.'"

Subramanian said it that's when she really began to think about the gender barrier in engineering.

"Maybe because I have experienced a world where there were so few [women engineers] ... I see the effect that women can have on [the engineering community]," Subramanian said. "I think women can change the culture of the system ... for the better because we think differently, so we can [bring in] a different perspective, which is why I agonize over how ... I can make it easier for the women who come after me."

Despite these challenges, Subramanian said that for the most part, everyone at IIT was very encouraging, and she felt that her peers' recognition of her ability as an engineer helped her integrate into the community. In addition, Subramanian

said that the unparalleled learning environment had a significant impact.

"It trained me to learn ... to approach a new thing without any fear, and I think that's what a good engineering education should be," Subramanian said. "Nothing is unlearnable. If you're willing to learn, it can be taught to you."

This learning philosophy also extends to Subramanian's teaching. Subramanian said that she challenges her students in COMP 140 with concepts that many people in the department thought may be too hard for an introductory course, but students continue to amaze her and exceed her expectations.

Subramanian said she wants COMP 140 to be a way for anybody to understand what computer science is. She said that computational thinking, which is the ability to take a large problem and break it down into pieces, is crucial to living in a world that is getting more and more quantitative.

Subramanian said her decision to become a professor was influenced by her listening to her father, a mechanical engineering professor, teach as a child.

"I know I was fascinated by the world of the classroom," she said. "And I've always found that when I explain something to someone, I'll learn it better."

What brought her to the U.S., Subramanian said, were the opportunities it offered to women engineers that India lacked at that time.

"The academic environment [in the U.S.] was willing to recognize my ability," Subramanian said. "I [wanted to] go to a country where it's what you can do, not who you are, that matters."

"What's Their Secret?" is a weekly feature that highlights a faculty member who has had a significant impact on Rice students.

SA General Elections rerun results in different outcome

The Student Association General Elections rerun resulted in a win for Ravi Sheth, a write-in candidate. Sheth, a Martel College junior, ran in the SA General Elections after the first election was appealed and ruled “partially invalid” by the University Court.The Student Association Elections Committee reran the General Elections and merged it with the previously scheduled SA Internal Vice President Elections. The rerun elections closed Feb. 28 at 11:59 p.m.Sheth said he was excited and humbled by the amount of support he got as a write-in candidate. He also said he was impressed with the level of voter turnout from the entire student body.“I think there was 1636 votes; that’s more than was seen in 2009, and [I think the turnout in 2009 was more than Rice] had seen in a decade, so this might be one of the highest voter turnout elections in Rice history,” Sheth said. “I’m really excited to see that level of student involvement and turnout, and I think it puts the [Student Association] in a really great position because we now have the attention and the engagement of the student body and I think that will really allow us to do great things over the next year.”Sheth will assume the role of SA president at Changeover on Monday, March 10. He said he already has ideas about what he wants to do during his term.“I have a list [of things I’d like to get accomplished in the next year], but I think a lot of them need to have buy-in from different parties before we officially announce them,” Sheth said. “I will be opening up creative proposals for something to do with the SA iPad because that should never have been bought with student money, so we’ll find something productive and good to do with it.”SA presidential candidate Trent Navran, who won the original election, said he was frustrated by the decision to rerun the election. He said he was initially disappointed by the outcome of the most recent election, but ultimately feels confident that Sheth will be a good SA president.“I was really impressed to see the energy that Ravi helped excite on campus, and the fact that so many people were talking about elections and that there was so much buzz was exciting,” Navran said. “As a friend and as someone who I’ve worked with, I think Ravi will make a fantastic president. I’m very proud of him and I look forward to working with him in a lot of capacities.”Although he did not win this election, Navran said he learned a lot about himself during the elections process, and he will use that insight to continue serving the Rice student body in other ways.“President or not, I’m really excited because I know I can still make a big impact on campus,” Navran said. “I’m going to be focusing a lot on social innovation and social entrepreneurship, which is something that happens a lot at Rice, but I want to work to build more of an identity and more programming and resources around that. It’s something I’ve cared about and expressed recently in my campaign, but I think I have valued and will now be able to focus on as a senior.”Baker College junior Abby Gordon won the race for SA Internal Vice President. The remainder of the items on the ballot were also rerun. A full list of the results, according to an email sent to the Rice community by current SA President Yoonjin Min, can be see below. ReferendumsThe referendum on the Ratification of the SA Constitution passed.The referendum on the Honor Council’s Proposed Constitutional Amendment passed.The referendum on the Rice Environmental Society’s Proposed New Blanket Tax failed, because it failed to get a majority in favor that was greater than two thirds of votes cast on the item.The referendum on Rice Catalyst’s Proposed New Blanket Tax without the Sunset Clause failed, because it failed to get a majority in favor that was greater than two thirds of votes cast on the item.The referendum on Rice Catalyst’s Proposed New Blanket Tax with the Sunset Clause failed, because it failed to get a majority in favor that was greater than two thirds of votes cast on the item.Elections for positionsRavi Sheth won the election for Student Association President.Abby Gordon won the election for Student Association Internal Vice President.Amritha Kanakamedala won the election for Student Association External Vice President.Olivia Hsia won the election for Student Association Secretary.Joan Liu won the election for Student Association Treasurer.Cathy Hu and Pooja Yesantharao won the election for RSVP Chair.Joann Pan won the election for RSVP Internal Vice Chair.Brian Baran won the election for University Court Chair.Aisha Jeeva won the election for Rice Program Council President.Sal Tijerina won the election for KTRU Station Manager.Miles Kruppa won the election for Thresher Editor-in-Chief.Rachel Gray won the election for RTV5 Station Manager.Lauren Thompson won the election for RTV5 Program Director.Julia Liu and Isabelle Lelogeais won the election for Honor Council Senior Class Representative.Michael Williams Hart, Josiah Grace and Seth Lauer won the election for Honor Council Junior Class Representative.Claire Bonnyman and Luke Van Der Spoel won the election for Honor Council Sophomore Class Representative.

Affirmation: The Future of Admissions

Fisher v. The University of Texas has revived one of the most polemical debates in America: whether race can be used as a factor in admissions to institutes of higher education. This issue undoubtedly resonates at Rice University, which, like most American universities, factors an applicant's ethnicity when selecting its freshman class. While the arguments concerning affirmative action are widely known, a true understanding of the issue requires both legal and historical background.