Monday, September 26, 2022 — Houston, TX

New traditions could increase value of class ring

By Staff Editorial     10/26/11 7:00pm

Rice's class rings have been a tradition since 1916; however, there is now a student push to create more of a tradition and culture around the ring itself. The committee involved with this initiative would like to increase student participation in ring purchases and would like to help make the ring more special by planning events around it.

Already, a plan has been enacted to engrave college crests on the interior of the rings. This proposal helps make the rings just a bit more personal and that much more special. This concept should definitely be extended to a college-specific ceremony surrounding the distribution of the rings. The more rings can be celebrated in the smaller, personal college communities, the more meaningful the rings will be.

There should also be an attempt to create a ring ceremony that ties together the entire graduating Rice community. Ideally, every graduating senior would participate in this event. While it is, of course, unlikely that every senior would be willing to buy a ring and celebrate it in a class-wide event, the committee has extended ring choices to include cheaper silver and palladium choices. Every attempt should be made to properly advertise these new options, so that students do not feel excluded for financial reasons.

This student-led initiative is an excellent one. Just as the first rings in 1916 came to fruition through student leadership, hopefully a unique ring culture can be fabricated around these rings that lasts a full century.

The Rice career fair fails Rice students

Comments like “What’s with the suit? What’s the occasion? Who’s getting married?” surrounded me as I strolled into my college commons one day last fall. It caught me off guard; why am I the only one dressed up on career fair day? My bioengineering friend quickly answered my question. “Why should I bother going to the career fair?” he said. “There’s no bioengineering companies there.” He’s absolutely right. But the problem extends beyond just bioengineering.

Dare to be wise

In the 18th Century, Immanuel Kant (often considered the central figure in modern philosophy) used the phrase Spaere aude in a 1784 essay titled “Answering the Question: What is Enlightenment.”  Translated from Latin, it means “dare to know,” or in some cases, “dare to be wise.”  Kant argued our inability to think for ourselves was due to fear, not due to a lack of intellect.  In the opening paragraph of his essay, Kant states “Have the courage to use your own reason—that is the motto of enlightenment.”

Support diversity in the arts in Houston

The Oscars may be so white, but Houston art isn’t — as long as you’re looking in the right places. It is all too true that arts organizations still fall short of creating accessible spaces with equitable representation of artists. For instance, white men still make up the majority of artists represented in prominent museums across the United States. Even with increased attention to elevating the work of women artists and an uptick in women-only art shows and exhibitions focused on the work of underrepresented artists, only 11% of permanent acquisitions by major American art museums from 2008 to 2019 were by women; of that 11%, only 3.3.% were by Black women artists.