Sunday, March 03, 2024 — Houston, TX

The Party Patrol rates the year's first public party at Martel College

Just like Iowa in a presidential primary, Martel's public party, Don't Mess With Texas, is known for above all being first. This only means it is the first party that the Thresher Party Patrol, a ragtag group of hard-hitting journalists dedicated to covering the unique phenomenon known as the public party. 

While the decision to schedule the only outside party in the hottest time of the year and have a theme that requires wearing of jeans is beyond us, this sundeck celebration holds its own as one of the fall's best, though it still lags far behind Sid's 80s and Wiess' NOD. 

This year was no different as a record number of people crowded Martel for a chance to bump n' grind with the best of them. Over consumption of alcohol was definitely visible; however, it was not unexpected considering "Texas" was the first party of the year. More importantly, Martel, EMS and RUPD worked well together to take care of any problems preemptively and still allow the party to continue at full volume. If last weekend was any indication, we look forward to enjoying and passing judgment on the rest of the parties on the college circuit. 

The public party is an integral portion of the Rice social scene. We have no frats, and we have no sixth street. The public party scene at Rice is important to our ability to "play hard" here. Here at the Thresher, we hope that our criticisms and compliments can help social committees put on the best possible events. 

To all those that work to put on public parties, we commend you for your hard work and dedication to make Rice the best place it can be. 

The Party Patrol

Beyond Fondy 24/7: advocating for fairness

An editorial “24/7 Fondy presents more cons than pros” published Jan. 16 raised valid concerns about the potential drawbacks of Fondren Library operating 24/7. However, this argument barely scratches the surface, overlooking a critical aspect — the well-being of the dedicated staff who operate the library. 

Jae Kim for SA president

Due to his previous successful initiatives, desire to correct flaws within the Student Association and passion for student advocacy, we, the Thresher Editorial Board, endorse Jae Kim for SA president.