Friday, January 27, 2023 — Houston, TX

The Party Patrol rates the year's first public party at Martel College

Just like Iowa in a presidential primary, Martel's public party, Don't Mess With Texas, is known for above all being first. This only means it is the first party that the Thresher Party Patrol, a ragtag group of hard-hitting journalists dedicated to covering the unique phenomenon known as the public party. 

While the decision to schedule the only outside party in the hottest time of the year and have a theme that requires wearing of jeans is beyond us, this sundeck celebration holds its own as one of the fall's best, though it still lags far behind Sid's 80s and Wiess' NOD. 

This year was no different as a record number of people crowded Martel for a chance to bump n' grind with the best of them. Over consumption of alcohol was definitely visible; however, it was not unexpected considering "Texas" was the first party of the year. More importantly, Martel, EMS and RUPD worked well together to take care of any problems preemptively and still allow the party to continue at full volume. If last weekend was any indication, we look forward to enjoying and passing judgment on the rest of the parties on the college circuit. 

The public party is an integral portion of the Rice social scene. We have no frats, and we have no sixth street. The public party scene at Rice is important to our ability to "play hard" here. Here at the Thresher, we hope that our criticisms and compliments can help social committees put on the best possible events. 

To all those that work to put on public parties, we commend you for your hard work and dedication to make Rice the best place it can be. 

The Party Patrol

Rice should allow more than 8% of graduate students to eat at campus serveries

Everyday, many graduate students are struggling with meals, because Rice offers very limited on-campus servery dining opportunities for them. Many students have expressed concern over this policy including Yajie Liu, a bioengineering Ph.D. student. Her day is filled with coursework, research and mentoring undergraduates in the lab. Though Yajie is on campus from 8 a.m. to 9 p.m. every day, she enjoys her busy life. This semester, she applied for the graduate meal plan but failed to get selected. She is very disappointed and has to spend extra time and effort preparing affordable meals herself. The on-campus graduate meal plan is very important to student life, Ph.D. students in particular. Rice should expand the on-campus meal plans to cater to the demand of increasing graduate students.  

Bring Sunday brunch back to campus

At the very first Editorial Board meeting of this school year, the seniors on our board got on our high horses to inform the Rice community of the way things used to be done vis-a-vis selling tickets to public parties. We’ve held our tongues since then, as we can appreciate that circumstances change and growth is good. But the time has come for us to speak again, this time in support of resurrecting the greatest of all pre-COVID traditions: Sunday brunch.

The RMC needs to reread their mission statement

We reported at the end of last week that popular late-night food spots YoYo’s Hot Dog and Oh My Gogi are being forced out of Rice Village by the end of the month. Justifiably, Rice students and the local community were outraged — a petition to the Rice Management Company titled “Save Yoyos and Oh My Gogi” has over 4,500 signatures as of publication.