Sunday, March 03, 2024 — Houston, TX

Lovett's public party a good time despite the heat

By The Party Patrol     9/14/11 7:00pm

Lovett College looked to rebound after last spring's daring but unfulfilled "Night of the Macabre." Its Extraterrestrial- themed party definitely left much costume potential to those with creativity and time. Unfortunately, most Rice undergrads lack both of these elements, and the result was a party riddled with the most terrestrial of clothing.

The party was extremely well attended, but the dance floor was literally damp with partygoers. Those willing to brave the steady flow of human sweat from all sides had a great time dancing the night away; however, for the more sanitary students, there was little recreation at Lovett outside of the private parties.

The private parties were decent but ran out of supplies sooner than most partygoers would have liked. The security positioned on second and third floor did a good job of keeping the breezeways clear, and there seemed to be little friction between RUPD and Lovett as a result.

One of the biggest takeaways from the Lovett party would be the massive heat problem. Rice is quickly expanding in population, and it is being reflected in party attendance. Lovett was not one of the semester's marquee parties, yet excessive temperatures on the dance floor were a severe problem.

Thus, socials committees should definitely consider placing large fans around the dance floor or opening college commons windows in an attempt to manage temperatures.

Beyond Fondy 24/7: advocating for fairness

An editorial “24/7 Fondy presents more cons than pros” published Jan. 16 raised valid concerns about the potential drawbacks of Fondren Library operating 24/7. However, this argument barely scratches the surface, overlooking a critical aspect — the well-being of the dedicated staff who operate the library. 

Jae Kim for SA president

Due to his previous successful initiatives, desire to correct flaws within the Student Association and passion for student advocacy, we, the Thresher Editorial Board, endorse Jae Kim for SA president.