Friday, January 27, 2023 — Houston, TX

Letters to the Editor

To the Editor:

I appreciate the Thresher's coverage of this historic drought and the editorial board's call for water conservation in the colleges. But I was surprised that you think Rice's water conservation projects are a new drought-driven interest. The university has actively implemented water conservation projects for well over 10 years. Starting in the late 1990s, most of the toilets on campus were retrofitted or replaced with more efficient fixtures. More than 400 dual-flush water-efficient toilets were included in the designs for the BRC, the Gibbs Recreation Center and Duncan and McMurtry Colleges. Brockman Hall for Physics features urinals that use just one pint of water per flush instead of the typical one gallon per flush. The Rice Children's Campus was designed with a rainwater collection system that stores rooftop runoff in a below-ground cistern for reuse in irrigation. And our first condensate harvesting system, which was well-reported in Brooke Bullock's article, began collecting water from the BRC's air handling units in the fall of 2008 for reuse in the South Plant's cooling towers.

I encourage students to use the Rice Endowment for Sustainable Energy Technology (RESET) as a vehicle for proposing and funding student-led water conservation projects, as Martel undergraduate Doris Lee did this past fall. We also welcome student ideas and suggestions for water conservation via http://sustainability.rice.edu. Thank you in advance for everyone's participation in helping to conserve water at Rice.

Richard R. Johnson

Director of Energy and Sustainability Rice University

Rice should allow more than 8% of graduate students to eat at campus serveries

Everyday, many graduate students are struggling with meals, because Rice offers very limited on-campus servery dining opportunities for them. Many students have expressed concern over this policy including Yajie Liu, a bioengineering Ph.D. student. Her day is filled with coursework, research and mentoring undergraduates in the lab. Though Yajie is on campus from 8 a.m. to 9 p.m. every day, she enjoys her busy life. This semester, she applied for the graduate meal plan but failed to get selected. She is very disappointed and has to spend extra time and effort preparing affordable meals herself. The on-campus graduate meal plan is very important to student life, Ph.D. students in particular. Rice should expand the on-campus meal plans to cater to the demand of increasing graduate students.  

Bring Sunday brunch back to campus

At the very first Editorial Board meeting of this school year, the seniors on our board got on our high horses to inform the Rice community of the way things used to be done vis-a-vis selling tickets to public parties. We’ve held our tongues since then, as we can appreciate that circumstances change and growth is good. But the time has come for us to speak again, this time in support of resurrecting the greatest of all pre-COVID traditions: Sunday brunch.

The RMC needs to reread their mission statement

We reported at the end of last week that popular late-night food spots YoYo’s Hot Dog and Oh My Gogi are being forced out of Rice Village by the end of the month. Justifiably, Rice students and the local community were outraged — a petition to the Rice Management Company titled “Save Yoyos and Oh My Gogi” has over 4,500 signatures as of publication.