Bernie's Burger Bus will take your taste buds on a field trip

By Allen Liao and Risa Dieken     9/7/11 7:00pm

The urban streets of Houston are a rough place for a hungry kid looking for a hearty meal. Luckily for us, Bernie's Burger Bus roams these streets to rescue such lost souls. A food truck, cleverly disguised as a bright yellow school bus, Bernie's provides a full meal on wheels for those willing to bear the wait in the Houston afternoon heat. Don't let the cute appearance and quirky bumper stickers plastered over the doors fool you, though, because the Bus means business when it comes to their food. Bernie's has an incredible following of burger aficionados, and it's not surprising that so many people are chasing after the Bus like grade-schoolers missing their morning transit.

Bernie's Burger Bus roams from neighborhood to neighborhood distributing its lunchtime goodness, and the best way to get in on the action is to follow them on Twitter (@BerniesBurgers). Being a food truck, it does take more effort to track down than say, walking to Rice Village, but trust us, you won't regret its huge portions and hand-crafted fare. As far as burgers are concerned, Bernie's offers some of the best in Houston, giving Bubba's Burger Shack and The Burger Guys a run for their money. Bernie's burgers are made totally from scratch, from the freshly baked bun to the certified organic grass-fed Black Angus beef to homemade condiments.

The menu, brought to you by culinary guru Justin Turner (former personal chef for Houston Rockets star Shane Battier), consists of a variety of cleverly nicknamed burgers with such selections as the classic Principal to the intimidating, double-patty Bully and the miniature sized Kindergartners and Pre-Schoolers. The Field Trip burger is a daily rotating special. You have the option of adding Electives to your burger: local Texas cheddar cheese, caramelized "tipsy" onions and burgundy mushrooms. The sides, or Extra Curricular Activities, are so impressive in size that they could make a meal in themselves. These include classic hand-cut fries and sweet potato fries, as well as more exotic options, like bleu cheese fries topped with applewood smoked bacon or truffle-laced fries topped with Parmesan cheese and green onions.

While the food quality can hardly be denied, the Bus is not without its drawbacks. There is a limited selection of menu items, and no beverages are provided, forcing you to buy drinks from whatever establishment the food truck is parked near. Of course, being a food truck, there's no seating available. Waiting in the sun for your burger for up to 20 minutes might frustrate the thirsty, impatient consumer.

However, the wait is worth it. Forget sit-down restaurants. Forget the drive-thru Whataburger. Bernie's Burger Bus combines gourmet quality with a take-it-to-go philosophy, boasting innovative and specialized menu items and local organic ingredients. The mobile food truck movement is exploding onto the scene nationwide, and Bernie's is paving the way.

Don't miss the Bus! Find your local Bus stop on their website (www.berniesburgerbus.com) or on Facebook (fb.me/BerniesBurgers) and Twitter (@BerniesBurgers). Although the schedule changes weekly, you can usually find the Bus near the Montrose area during lunchtime, parked right outside Inversion Coffee House or Sugarbaby's Cupcake Boutique, so take a field trip off campus!