Thursday, May 06, 2021 — Houston, TX 81°

What's Their Secret

By by Ruby Gee     8/24/11 7:00pm

Ahhh DiffE. The mere pronunciation of the word strikes a keen sense of dread into the minds of many incoming students. Known as the "Orgo" of advanced math courses, the course is famously featured by three Rice students in "Teach Me How to DiffE," a YouTube parody of Cali Swag District's "Teach Me How to Dougie."

Making a 10-second appearance in the video is Mathematics Professor Zhiyong Gao, who has taught Differential Equations at Rice for more than a decade.

Known for his quirky sayings (affectionately referred to as "Gaoisms" by his former students), Gao has been praised for his earnest presentation of the material and knack for providing students with efficient example problems that prepare students well for his exams.

Professor Gao's quirky sweater wearing habit and distinctive voice has also made him a well known personality among math and science majors. Many of his students have never considered though, what kind of life Gao lived before entering the classroom and entertaining students with his funny quips.

Born before the institution of the one-child policy, Gao originated from a little city called Hailun, in the Heilóngjiang Province of Northeast China.

"I don't know, you might not be able to see it on a map," he joked. "It's not big."

Admitting that he doesn't remember a lot about his earliest days in the classroom, Gao describes a modest student life that he insists was pretty typical for Chinese students of his generation – one with small tables crammed in a plain building that lacked any sort of air conditioning.   

"There was no technology, no calculators, no TV, no nothing," Gao added solemnly. "Only a few subjects were offered and no technology was needed for any of that stuff."

Developing a passion for more complex forms of mathematics at the age of 15, Gao would go onto study at Fudan university in Shanghai — a city which he quickly came to call his own. For better or worse, Gao grew up under the political reign of Mao Zedong and later, Deng Xiaopeng. Partially due to the ever-shifting state of Chinese politics during his lifetime, Gao was able to obtain an educational visa from the government and come to New York for his graduate studies.

"At that time, they were just talking about it [Deng Xiaopeng's economic reforms] — talking a lot about it, but hadn't do much [sic]," Gao recalled, in regards to the political conditions of that time.

Though he at one point considered specializing in physics, Gao maintains that he always wanted to teach in the states. When asked about what he loves about the subject he ended up teaching, Gao revealed that what he loved was the nature of the subject itself.

"When something is wrong, it's wrong. When something is right, it's just right," Gao explained. "[Math]the subject is very logical…very clear, and very precise."

"What's Their Secret?" is a weekly feature that highlights a faculty member who has had a significant impact on Rice students.

SA General Elections rerun results in different outcome

The Student Association General Elections rerun resulted in a win for Ravi Sheth, a write-in candidate. Sheth, a Martel College junior, ran in the SA General Elections after the first election was appealed and ruled “partially invalid” by the University Court.The Student Association Elections Committee reran the General Elections and merged it with the previously scheduled SA Internal Vice President Elections. The rerun elections closed Feb. 28 at 11:59 p.m.Sheth said he was excited and humbled by the amount of support he got as a write-in candidate. He also said he was impressed with the level of voter turnout from the entire student body.“I think there was 1636 votes; that’s more than was seen in 2009, and [I think the turnout in 2009 was more than Rice] had seen in a decade, so this might be one of the highest voter turnout elections in Rice history,” Sheth said. “I’m really excited to see that level of student involvement and turnout, and I think it puts the [Student Association] in a really great position because we now have the attention and the engagement of the student body and I think that will really allow us to do great things over the next year.”Sheth will assume the role of SA president at Changeover on Monday, March 10. He said he already has ideas about what he wants to do during his term.“I have a list [of things I’d like to get accomplished in the next year], but I think a lot of them need to have buy-in from different parties before we officially announce them,” Sheth said. “I will be opening up creative proposals for something to do with the SA iPad because that should never have been bought with student money, so we’ll find something productive and good to do with it.”SA presidential candidate Trent Navran, who won the original election, said he was frustrated by the decision to rerun the election. He said he was initially disappointed by the outcome of the most recent election, but ultimately feels confident that Sheth will be a good SA president.“I was really impressed to see the energy that Ravi helped excite on campus, and the fact that so many people were talking about elections and that there was so much buzz was exciting,” Navran said. “As a friend and as someone who I’ve worked with, I think Ravi will make a fantastic president. I’m very proud of him and I look forward to working with him in a lot of capacities.”Although he did not win this election, Navran said he learned a lot about himself during the elections process, and he will use that insight to continue serving the Rice student body in other ways.“President or not, I’m really excited because I know I can still make a big impact on campus,” Navran said. “I’m going to be focusing a lot on social innovation and social entrepreneurship, which is something that happens a lot at Rice, but I want to work to build more of an identity and more programming and resources around that. It’s something I’ve cared about and expressed recently in my campaign, but I think I have valued and will now be able to focus on as a senior.”Baker College junior Abby Gordon won the race for SA Internal Vice President. The remainder of the items on the ballot were also rerun. A full list of the results, according to an email sent to the Rice community by current SA President Yoonjin Min, can be see below. ReferendumsThe referendum on the Ratification of the SA Constitution passed.The referendum on the Honor Council’s Proposed Constitutional Amendment passed.The referendum on the Rice Environmental Society’s Proposed New Blanket Tax failed, because it failed to get a majority in favor that was greater than two thirds of votes cast on the item.The referendum on Rice Catalyst’s Proposed New Blanket Tax without the Sunset Clause failed, because it failed to get a majority in favor that was greater than two thirds of votes cast on the item.The referendum on Rice Catalyst’s Proposed New Blanket Tax with the Sunset Clause failed, because it failed to get a majority in favor that was greater than two thirds of votes cast on the item.Elections for positionsRavi Sheth won the election for Student Association President.Abby Gordon won the election for Student Association Internal Vice President.Amritha Kanakamedala won the election for Student Association External Vice President.Olivia Hsia won the election for Student Association Secretary.Joan Liu won the election for Student Association Treasurer.Cathy Hu and Pooja Yesantharao won the election for RSVP Chair.Joann Pan won the election for RSVP Internal Vice Chair.Brian Baran won the election for University Court Chair.Aisha Jeeva won the election for Rice Program Council President.Sal Tijerina won the election for KTRU Station Manager.Miles Kruppa won the election for Thresher Editor-in-Chief.Rachel Gray won the election for RTV5 Station Manager.Lauren Thompson won the election for RTV5 Program Director.Julia Liu and Isabelle Lelogeais won the election for Honor Council Senior Class Representative.Michael Williams Hart, Josiah Grace and Seth Lauer won the election for Honor Council Junior Class Representative.Claire Bonnyman and Luke Van Der Spoel won the election for Honor Council Sophomore Class Representative.

Affirmation: The Future of Admissions

Fisher v. The University of Texas has revived one of the most polemical debates in America: whether race can be used as a factor in admissions to institutes of higher education. This issue undoubtedly resonates at Rice University, which, like most American universities, factors an applicant's ethnicity when selecting its freshman class. While the arguments concerning affirmative action are widely known, a true understanding of the issue requires both legal and historical background.