Friday, January 27, 2023 — Houston, TX

Outreach Day a success

By Staff Editorial     8/24/11 7:00pm

This past O-Week, Rice extended its long established tradition of reaching out to the community and serving the needy (see story, pg. 5). Outreach Day was a vast success; it drew 488 new students to a myriad of projects around Houston. The number of participants exceeds that of any past Outreach Day. Furthermore, 88 percent of those students who signed up for a project actually participated — an incredible ratio when factors such as peer pressure to attend Dis-O and fatigue from a long O-week are considered.

The success of this Outreach Day sets the stage for a potential expansion of the program. Outreach administrators should ride this wave of excitment and heavily advertise for the next Outreach Day to be held in November. Furthermore, project expansions should be considered. While the turnout among new students was high, many sites became full within the first days of O-Week. Opening more slots and introducing new projects would allow the inclusion of all interested students. In choosing these new topics, Outreach Day leaders should consider the viability of certain projects. Projects that involve rigorous outdoor physical activity should be reconsidered in the blistering Houston summer heat. While it is true that students are warned about rigorous conditions before signing up for a project, it would increase the chances that students are happier with their project if they are not faced with grueling conditions. All in all, Outreach Day is quickly becoming a symbol of Rice's commitment to bettering the Houston community, and the Thresher looks forward to see the program continue to progress in the future.

Rice should allow more than 8% of graduate students to eat at campus serveries

Everyday, many graduate students are struggling with meals, because Rice offers very limited on-campus servery dining opportunities for them. Many students have expressed concern over this policy including Yajie Liu, a bioengineering Ph.D. student. Her day is filled with coursework, research and mentoring undergraduates in the lab. Though Yajie is on campus from 8 a.m. to 9 p.m. every day, she enjoys her busy life. This semester, she applied for the graduate meal plan but failed to get selected. She is very disappointed and has to spend extra time and effort preparing affordable meals herself. The on-campus graduate meal plan is very important to student life, Ph.D. students in particular. Rice should expand the on-campus meal plans to cater to the demand of increasing graduate students.  

Bring Sunday brunch back to campus

At the very first Editorial Board meeting of this school year, the seniors on our board got on our high horses to inform the Rice community of the way things used to be done vis-a-vis selling tickets to public parties. We’ve held our tongues since then, as we can appreciate that circumstances change and growth is good. But the time has come for us to speak again, this time in support of resurrecting the greatest of all pre-COVID traditions: Sunday brunch.

The RMC needs to reread their mission statement

We reported at the end of last week that popular late-night food spots YoYo’s Hot Dog and Oh My Gogi are being forced out of Rice Village by the end of the month. Justifiably, Rice students and the local community were outraged — a petition to the Rice Management Company titled “Save Yoyos and Oh My Gogi” has over 4,500 signatures as of publication.