Online Only: Technology killing the radio star

By Connor Hayes     5/18/11 7:00pm

On days when I forget to bring my iPod into the car I am forced to listen to the radio. On one such occasion last week, I tuned into Houston's KRBE 104.1, a pop radio station that's a far cry from my usual playlists of Carole King, Dave Brubeck, Justin Bieber and the Wu Tang Clan. Maybe they had the Bieber, but still.

Man, KRBE sucked. But the point is that while I was under the impression that my brain was slowly leaking out through my ears during the chorus of Katy Perry's "E.T.," I was actually realizing more about music than ever before.

"E.T." is the most recent in a string of number one hits for Perry, and is, unfortunately, not based on the Stephen Spielberg film of that name. Perry compares the object of her affection to an alien in the song, noting that she is "ready for abduction" and she wants "to be there when [he] vibrates." Although I would like to advise her to not get involved with men who vibrate, Perry sends a clear message in her song: I can sing about whatever the hell I want and you will still buy my records, especially if Kanye West is featured.

I don't really have a problem with this attitude, but I'm astonished at how successful it actually is. I'm sure, however, Katy Perry would argue that her message is actually much more complex. Her writers and producers might also peg themselves as musical visionaries. The truth, instead, is that some combination of electronic beats, altered vocals, love song undertones and constantly repeated choruses is the new recipe for Billboard success.

We live in a commercial society, and in most instances this is understood and accepted. Owners of basketball teams want their franchises to win championships, CEOs of companies want their bottom line to be as large as possible, but for some reason musicians are for the most part "sellouts" and "talentless" if their music sees financial success. We seem to believe that making money and making great music are mutually exclusive.

This mutual exclusivity wasn't always the case. In the middle of the 20th century, most of the "greats" were also commercially successful, with the possible exception of the disco movement. This change over time is due to the effects of major technological advances on musical production and the subsequent ease of creating a pseudo-professional sound at a low cost and even lower amount of requisite talent.

Technology has, without question, influenced music and film more than anything else during my lifetime, but how far will it take these art forms? The music business has obviously seen a drastic change over the past two decades. More and more music is coming from the "Macbook revolution." Artists no longer toil over demos and pray to get discovered by major record companies. Instead, they can record, produce and promote their (often mediocre) music from the comfort of their own homes.

While some might assert that these advances in technology have opened the flood gates for over-produced electronic babble that takes away from the depth and breadth of the musical landscape, I'm inclined to argue that the more, the merrier. For every 1,000 terrible albums that some kid makes on GarageBand fueled by toaster strudels in his mom's basement, there is one James Blake, one Washed Out, one -- dare I say -- Justin Bieber.

Not only do the communicative capabilities of the Internet affect how music is produced, it also alters the way in which we share and editorialize artists and their creations. Anyone with a keyboard can become a self-proclaimed expert in an article or on a blog, but does this lack of source credibility really outweigh the expanded exposure for artists? I'd say no. As they say, any publicity is good publicity. This includes, but is not limited to, having your grandma post your YouTube video to her Cat Appreciation Club's Facebook page.

Would I willingly listen to "E.T." again and enjoy it? Probably not. Is this column a useful insight into the ever-changing landscape of popular culture? Debatable. Do we have a lot to learn about how we critique music based on its source rather than its sound? Certainly.

So, I ask you to challenge yourself musically. Tune into your favorite pop station next time you forget your iPod on a long drive. While the music might not change your life, the message might affect you in the same way that Perry's desire for a vibrating man affected me. Anyone can be a star, even you. "Musicians" can do what they want, say what they want and even make sexual advances upon aliens without any real detriment to their finances nor their credibility. This is our overstimulated Internet-age reality.