Friday, February 28, 2020 — Houston, TX 49°

More fond farewells for graduating seniors

By Staff Editorial     5/16/11 7:00pm

As with the end of every school year, we once again congratulate our graduating colleagues who will be moving on to the real world. Our design director, Dave Rosales, was always easy to spot in his fashionable lime-green necktie and yellow glasses. Many late nights consisted of Dave introducing us to the newest in techno and mashups, while simultaneously working on one of the most important part of any newspaper: the graphics. Of course, Dave's musical tastes would occasionally conflict with those of former Backpage editor and Features editor Connor Hayes, who likewise introduced us to the other end of the music spectrum: namely, Justin Bieber, Ke$ha and Rebecca Black. Connor's musings ranged from the latest in viral videos to critical applications of Bieber to the art world, and every moment with Connor was entertaining to say the least. Yet despite his musings, Connor continued to be a voice of reason for the paper. Our Whursdays won't be the same without you.

Of course, where would we be without the hard work of our advertising staff? Probably broke and out of jobs. That's why we can't express enough of our thanks to Cathleen Chang and Molly Slattery, our outgoing ads managers, who made the process run seamlessly. Cathleen always had a smile in the office and Molly never hesitated to lend a hand. Thanks is also due to Tiffany Kuo, our former classifieds manager, who made the brave decision to stay on even after reading some of the sketchy classifieds from week to week.

Last, but certainly not least, we will miss Stephen Wang, our former Web editor. Stephen played a vital role in navigating us to our new website and dealing with all the mess along the way. There is nobody with more patience than this man.

The Thresher congratulates the Class of 2011 on all of their accomplishments and bids farewell to our friends and colleagues and wishes them the best of luck in the future.

Increasing transparency paves the way for change

Two weeks ago, for a Thresher news story, I read a resignation letter from a former custodian at Rice who was employed for just six months. What I read made me contemplate the working conditions of the Rice staff I see on a daily basis, but it would never end up getting published due to the Rice administration. 

The dangers of a single Student Association story

When you’re the only media organization in a given space, you have a lot of power. We appreciate the platform the Thresher has given stories like “Black at Rice” and “In Their Own Words” this year — and recognize their meaningful contribution to the campus dialogue. However, speaking from our individual experiences in the Student Association Senate, we think it is important to note that the Thresher presents information in an environment in which there are few external checks on the narratives that it creates. 

Primaries are here — and not just for the president

Early voting ends this Friday, Feb. 28 and Election Day is next Tuesday, March 3. If you have the privilege of being registered to vote, get out the vote on behalf of yourself, your communities and everyone who is institutionally excluded from our election processes. Political apathy is rampant in this country and on our campus with only 42 percent voter turnout last year.