Friday, February 28, 2020 — Houston, TX 41°

Letters to the Editor

To the Editor:

It has recently come to the attention of the Intramural Sports Program that an error was made while tabulating the points for the 2010- 2011 President's Cup. According to our initial calculation, Hanszen College appeared to earn the most points and was awarded the cup at the 2011 Annual Recreation Sports Awards Picnic. However, upon further scrutiny, it was realized that the Graduate Student Association had actually accrued the most points during the course of the last intramural season. We deeply regret that the President's Cup was mistakenly awarded to Hanszen College. We know that it is extremely disappointing to the Hanszen community and understand that a mistake of this magnitude should have never happened. We would like to emphasize that Hanszen students participated with great integrity this year and exemplified everything that the President's Cup is about.

In addition to our apology to Hanszen College, we would like to publicly congratulate the GSA. Their excellent participation in Intramural Sports has made them deserving champions. We appreciate their continued dedication to our program, and feel that they do much to enhance the competition and spirit of Intramural Sports on Rice's campus.

The IMS Program recognizes the significance that a mistake such as this effects the experience of all participants, and we vow to prevent it from occurring again. We would like to thank all of the students who attended and competed in Intramural Sports during the 2010-2011 school year. We look forward to seeing you in the fall.

IMS Management

Increasing transparency paves the way for change

Two weeks ago, for a Thresher news story, I read a resignation letter from a former custodian at Rice who was employed for just six months. What I read made me contemplate the working conditions of the Rice staff I see on a daily basis, but it would never end up getting published due to the Rice administration. 

The dangers of a single Student Association story

When you’re the only media organization in a given space, you have a lot of power. We appreciate the platform the Thresher has given stories like “Black at Rice” and “In Their Own Words” this year — and recognize their meaningful contribution to the campus dialogue. However, speaking from our individual experiences in the Student Association Senate, we think it is important to note that the Thresher presents information in an environment in which there are few external checks on the narratives that it creates. 

Primaries are here — and not just for the president

Early voting ends this Friday, Feb. 28 and Election Day is next Tuesday, March 3. If you have the privilege of being registered to vote, get out the vote on behalf of yourself, your communities and everyone who is institutionally excluded from our election processes. Political apathy is rampant in this country and on our campus with only 42 percent voter turnout last year.