Tuesday, January 26, 2021 — Houston, TX 46°

Letters to the Editor

To the Editor:

It has recently come to the attention of the Intramural Sports Program that an error was made while tabulating the points for the 2010- 2011 President's Cup. According to our initial calculation, Hanszen College appeared to earn the most points and was awarded the cup at the 2011 Annual Recreation Sports Awards Picnic. However, upon further scrutiny, it was realized that the Graduate Student Association had actually accrued the most points during the course of the last intramural season. We deeply regret that the President's Cup was mistakenly awarded to Hanszen College. We know that it is extremely disappointing to the Hanszen community and understand that a mistake of this magnitude should have never happened. We would like to emphasize that Hanszen students participated with great integrity this year and exemplified everything that the President's Cup is about.

In addition to our apology to Hanszen College, we would like to publicly congratulate the GSA. Their excellent participation in Intramural Sports has made them deserving champions. We appreciate their continued dedication to our program, and feel that they do much to enhance the competition and spirit of Intramural Sports on Rice's campus.

The IMS Program recognizes the significance that a mistake such as this effects the experience of all participants, and we vow to prevent it from occurring again. We would like to thank all of the students who attended and competed in Intramural Sports during the 2010-2011 school year. We look forward to seeing you in the fall.

IMS Management

Let’s heal how we talk about food

How should we discuss food, then? I don’t want to be misunderstood as advising against all food-related conversations. I feel quite the opposite: eating is one of humanity’s oldest social rituals. It’s meant to bring us together. We’re at our best when we engage in conversations that center the enjoyment of food rather than its nutritional content. 

Re-return to campus — but to what end?

The first wave of COVID-19 erupted in the U.S. in early 2020. Rice responded quickly: During March 9-15, classes for the week preceding Spring Break were canceled, students were instructed not to return to campus after Spring Break, and instruction after Spring Break was made fully remote. This quick reaction to the pandemic was typical of many organizations and localities all around the country, as it became clear that social distancing was then the only effective way to slow down the spread of the disease. This seems to have worked and, by early May, the first wave was somewhat subsiding. The Rice administration then tasked the Academic Restart Committee with the mission of “Return to Rice.” 

Let’s reevaluate music as a social resource

To be sure, a poetic analogy between music and our differences will not resolve any issues directly. It can, however, remind us of our shared humanity. It can get us back in touch with our nature as social animals. It is a nature that is often oppressed by the individualism in our capitalistic society that encourages competition, putting too much focus on the dissonances for our own good.