Sports Notebook: College Intramural Sports Recap

By Jonathan Myers     4/14/11 7:00pm

With the school year coming to a close, it's time to look at which colleges were victorious in intramural sports this year.

Powderpuff: With the GSA participating for the first time, the graduate students wasted no time in making their presence known, capturing the Powderpuff title over Lovett College 13-7 in a thrilling overtime game at the IM fields that saw Lovett's breakthrough season end on a bad note.

Men's College Flag Football: While the playoffs have yet to occur as of press time, Will Rice College and Brown College seem to be the clear favorites to win the title, with both teams having 5-0 records currently. Will Rice boasts two blowout victories: a 35-6 triumph over Duncan College and a 28-0 win over Hanszen College, while grabbing close wins over Lovett College and the GSA. In the Gray Division, Brown has strung together a 25-6 win over Wiess College along with wins over Martel College and Jones College by a touchdown.

College Freshman Flag Football: Jones emerged victorious over Martel, which was making their first ever appearance in the championship game after defeating Will Rice in the semifinals. The Jones freshmen dropped only one game the entire season, a 24-20 loss to the hands of Wiess, but rallied to defeat Hanszen 20-13 in the semifinal just two weeks later.

College Co-Ed Flag Football: Brown stormed to a perfect 5-0 regular season and an undefeated playoff run that culminated in a 16-9 win in the championship game against Will Rice, after defeating Will Rice 16-6 in the regular season. Lovett and Martel both compiled 3-1 regular season records to make the playoffs from the Gray Division, while Brown and Will Rice went 5-0 and 3-2 in the regular season to advance from the Blue Division.

Men's College Basketball: GSA completed a sweep of the college basketball titles after beating Wiess 39-29 in the title game. Wiess had compiled a 5-0 regular season record, winning all but two of their games by double digits, but GSA was equally as dominant, not losing a game the entire season. Jones and Hanszen also made the playoffs, but each was no match for Wiess and GSA, losing in the semifinal games by a combined 35 points.

Women's College Basketball: GSA torched McMurtry College 36-12 in the championship game to win the title and finish a 5-1 season, after upsetting previously undefeated Hanszen 22-20 in the semifinal. McMurtry finished the season at 5-1.

College Freshman Basketball: After starting off the season with an 18-point victory over Brown, the Hanszen freshmen ran the table the rest of the way, finishing the season at 4-0, and hanging on for a one-point victory over Wiess in the semifinals. Meeting 3-1-1 Will Rice in the championship, Hanszen pulled out a hard-fought 31-23 win to win the title.

College Men's Soccer: Wiess held out for a 4-2 win over Hanszen in the championship match last Sunday, with the Wiess defense stopping the juggernaut Hanszen attack that had scored no fewer than four goals in any game prior. After an early 2-1 defeat at the hands of Brown, Wiess won out to finish the season at 6-1 and defeat their rival for the title.

College Women's Soccer: Despite GSA going undefeated in the regular season, it was 2-2 Lovett who pulled off a monumental upset to defeat the graduate students in the semifinal, holding GSA to one goal. Wiess, 2-2, also beat the Blue Division champion Will Rice 2-0 to set up their date with Lovett last Sunday, but Lovett prevailed again to win the title and finish the season at 4-2.

College Ultimate: Wiess took home a 9-2 victory in the championship against rival Hanszen in a fitting end to the ultimate frisbee season, as both teams took their divisions with 4-0 records. Wiess dominated the regular season, winning three of four matches by tallies of 9-1 and defeating Lovett 9-2. Will Rice and GSA had 3-1 records to also advance to the playoffs.

College Men's Softball: With the playoffs still being played at press time, Brown College (4-1) appears to be in position to defend their title against GSA (3-1) in the first semifinal, while Wiess (4-0) and Will Rice (4-1) are matched up in the other semifinal.

College Women's Softball: GSA took out Lovett by a score of 7-3 in the championship game, after smashing Sid Richardson College 19-1 in the semifinal. GSA had defeated Lovett 11-5 earlier in the season on their way to a 5-0 record, but Lovett was able to set up a rematch after upsetting previously undefeated Hanszen 6-5 in the other semifinal.

College Billiards: The squad from Lovett defeated Baker 4-3 in the championship match, capping a 5-1 season for the Lovetteers. Baker had upset previously undefeated Sid Rich 4-3 in the semifinal but could not hold on for another upset against Lovett.

College Men's Volleyball: Despite pushing the championship match to a deciding third set, Sid Rich fell to GSA 25-23, 21-25, 15-6, as GSA finished off a 5-1 season after upsetting previously undefeated Hanszen in two sets in the semifinal.

College Women's Volleyball: At press time, Sid Rich and Lovett were matched up in one semifinal, and McMurtry and Hanszen were squaring off in the second playoff matchup.

College Floor Hockey: With the playoffs yet to be started by press time, it appears as though Will Rice will be one of the two favorites to win the floor hockey championship, as the Maroon and Gold sport a 3-0 record, with Sid Rich also holding a 3-0 mark.

College Table Tennis: Will Rice heads into the championship as the heavy favorite, compiling a 6-0 mark, while their opponent, Wiess, is 4-2. The two teams did not meet in the regular season.

Jonathan Myers