Monday, May 06, 2024 — Houston, TX

Online-only: RDT's "More than Movement" lives up to name

9a35006c81503616b5491964ccf0588b

By Anna Wilde     4/14/11 7:00pm

In promoting their spring showcase, the members of the Rice Dance Theatre promised "the most varied repertoire of styles yet." They weren't lying.

An air of intensity ties the diverse performances together, as the audience is treated to dances inspired by tango, Middle Eastern belly dancing and even this year's alcohol policy controversy. Most of the dances have developed themes and underlying messages in addition to their creative, fierce choreography.

Throughout the show, the performers embrace different roles, many of which Rice students can identify with. In one performance, dancers become jaded businesspeople trying to break free of their monotonous, work-filled lives. On the foundation of this familiar context, the dancers wow with solid technique and explosive movements that fill the stage — a trend that continues for the rest of the show. Don't worry about not having a good seat: Most of the routines move around the floor and cater to the different angles of the studio.

Another student-inspired routine features several dancers gracefully stumbling around while balancing and dancing with Solo Cups. Even though the routine is by far the most humorous of the show, the dance leaves you mulling over the implications of drunken actions. Don't come to the show if you're expecting a light-hearted experience, as even the whimsical routines are thought-provoking.

It is clear that each dancer in the company has had extensive training. Soloists in several performances shine, while group choreography demands the audience's attention. For the most part, the dancers are in sync, even in groups as large as eight.

Some routines leave the viewer wanting more, either due to a lack of energy or a too-complex plot. Additionally, some props seem to be included randomly and unnecessarily, and end up being an unfortunate distraction from the dancing itself.

Overall, Rice Dance Theatre must be commended for, once again, taking risks and being innovative in choreography, music and prop usage (including the use of the Thresher in one routine). All of the costumes are lovely and fit well with their routines; the lighting choices are subtle and add variety to each routine. Additionally, the company maximizes the opportunity to incorporate partner stunts, which all impress, into several dances.

The best part of the show is being drawn into the emotion of the dancers in each performance, ranging from fear to sassiness to empowerment to sadness. The audience can empathize with the experiences of feeling alone in a crowd, seducing a love interest, breaking free from monotony and falling in and out of love. These dances really are about "More than Movement."

"More than Movement" runs Thursday at 8 p.m., Friday at 8 p.m. and Saturday at 2 p.m. and 8 p.m. in the Barbara and David Gibbs Recreation Center Dance Theater. Tickets are $7 for general admission and $5 for student tickets, with a special $4 price for Thursday.