Friday, February 28, 2020 — Houston, TX 49°

Best of luck to KTRU as it moves to new-age media

By Staff Editorial     4/21/11 7:00pm

KTRU faces another turning point as the sale of its tower was finalized this past week (see story, pg. 1). When first announced, this was sale was sudden, and the outcry among certain student groups and alumni was a testament to the faith that the Rice community has in its student-run organizations. While administration did what it thought was right, this decision will likely be the last unilateral one about student organizations because of the outcry.

To KTRU, we challenge you to make the best of this and to prove administration once and for all erroneous. Seize your new opportunities with HD and Internet radio to broaden your audience; continue developing more content that appeals to the Rice student body while maintaining great ties with the surrounding community — as KTRU is already taking steps towards accomplishing.

As KTRU faces this new future, the Thresher commends the radio station for its undying service to Rice over the past few decades. We will certainly be left with the great memories, and we look forward to new legacies created by KTRU going into the future.

Increasing transparency paves the way for change

Two weeks ago, for a Thresher news story, I read a resignation letter from a former custodian at Rice who was employed for just six months. What I read made me contemplate the working conditions of the Rice staff I see on a daily basis, but it would never end up getting published due to the Rice administration. 

The dangers of a single Student Association story

When you’re the only media organization in a given space, you have a lot of power. We appreciate the platform the Thresher has given stories like “Black at Rice” and “In Their Own Words” this year — and recognize their meaningful contribution to the campus dialogue. However, speaking from our individual experiences in the Student Association Senate, we think it is important to note that the Thresher presents information in an environment in which there are few external checks on the narratives that it creates. 

Primaries are here — and not just for the president

Early voting ends this Friday, Feb. 28 and Election Day is next Tuesday, March 3. If you have the privilege of being registered to vote, get out the vote on behalf of yourself, your communities and everyone who is institutionally excluded from our election processes. Political apathy is rampant in this country and on our campus with only 42 percent voter turnout last year.