Monday, September 21, 2020 — Houston, TX °

Terrorism in the Homeland: Islam begets the radicalism of terrorism

By Eric Harrison     3/17/11 7:00pm

Since Those who abhor the burden of taking a clear stance on issues of importance are often fond of the "agnostic's fallacy." The fallacy goes like this: Two options are both technically possible; therefore, they are equally probable and no distinction can be made between them. So we get the agnostic, who thinks the existence and nonexistence of the supernatural are equally probable despite the absence of evidence for the former.

That same line of non-thinking inevitably appears whenever the topic of "profiling" is in any way broached. Can any reasonable distinction be made by airport security between a 21-year-old Saudi male traveling on a student visa and a 95-year-old Belgian woman on a tourist visa? Oh, certainly not - who knows, she could be carrying a bomb for some reason.

Neither, it seems, can there be any distinction between Islam and any other religion as a source of organized sadists and murderers. After all, non-Muslims can definitely do the same kinds of violent things too, and every once in a great while, actually try.

Very well: grandma could be carrying a bomb, just as the followers of other religions could engage in the same wanton cruelty. But the more salient consideration is how likely these things are to be true. To treat these possibilities as if they were equally probable is something even the slowest of people should recognize as nonsense.

Those who caution against the use of one's critical faculties claim that criticism will alienate Muslims and drive them into the clutches of "extremists." Well, in the first place, this really is little more than a threat (Don't criticize what I think or I'll kill you), and in the second place, it rests upon the tremendously condescending premise that Muslims are so innately explosive that any criticism may set them off. (Try to remember the last time you were called upon to tiptoe around the "Christian community" in this way.)

And what do these people propose instead? "Engagement" with the "Muslim community" through programs coordinated with mosques - in other words, reinforcing the idea that people are first and foremost Muslims and sending them back to the religious in supplication (precisely the conditions under which these same people tell us that "radicalization" will occur). This is lunacy.

Criticism and suspicion of Islam do not beget violence; Islam's many wicked and backward doctrines beget violence. The wonderful thing about the Quran is that even when it doesn't directly enjoin the faithful to acts of barbarism, it does at least remind them that god despises all non-Muslims and will in due course crush them like the miserable little vermin they are. (Tolerance, indeed!) To deny the danger and savagery of such things, let alone their existence, can only give the tyrannically superstitious the cover they need to operate.

In response to this, one is constantly reminded that most Muslims do not engage in violence. This says much about them as human beings but nothing about Islam itself. Indeed, it at least implies that most of the faithful know instinctively that the behaviors to which they are supposedly directed by God are vile and immoral. To suppress this instinct with the euphemisms of those who treat Islam as if it were a race is to suppress progress, and in so doing to deny those raised as Muslims the chance for enlightenment.

Nuts to that. Let the confrontation with Islamic backwardness go on, and let those who - in pallid imitation of real struggles against maltreatment - regard criticism of Islam as if it were a form of racism whine if they will. Progress does not stop for those who don't want to be made to think.

Eric Harrison is a Wiess College alumnus.

How to safely vote in the presidential election

The upcoming presidential election may be the most important of our lifetime. It also comes in the middle of a life-changing pandemic that has seriously altered election administration. Although election procedures continue to be finalized, we now have a solid idea of what our options are for voting in November and as the election judge for Rice’s polling location this year, I’m here to break it all down for you.

To the administration: Reevaluate unpaid student labor

This March, when students across campus received an email announcement that classes were shifted to a remote format for the rest of the semester, many of us had one preliminary concern: How will we move out of our dorms? With piles of personal belongings remaining in empty dorms, the job of packing and moving boxes was relegated to students, most of whom did the job without pay. In an interview for an article in our features section this week, one student said he spent approximately 75 hours on the task.

Rice students must care about climate change and act accordingly

Recently, I was eating dinner outdoors when I saw a classmate throw a plastic Gatorade bottle in the trash can. I mentioned it, and she told me that she wasn’t recycling because there was still Gatorade in the bottle. When I suggested that she empty and rinse out the bottle to recycle it, she just waved her hand and laughed. I returned to my room, crushed — that same morning, my family in California’s Bay Area had awoken to another day of hazardous smoke and “snowing” ash from three nearby wildfires, and some of the sites of my childhood memories had burned to the ground.