Sunday, January 24, 2021 — Houston, TX 46°

Beer Bike successful despite setbacks

By Editorial     3/17/11 7:00pm

Kudos is due to Matt Sawyer, the university-wide Beer Bike coordinator, and the Beer Bike coordinators from each college (see story, pg. 1). Beer Bike came and went smoothly, safely and too swiftly. The Beer Bike leadership was met with a multitude of challenges never seen in the past, and each problem was addressed with great success.

Alcohol responsibility was a necessity for this Beer Bike much more so than for any in the past. The Rice student body enjoyed a Beer Bike which included minimal to no hospital transports for over-intoxication; furthermore, the students exhibited strict adherence to the newly revised conduct policy, which prohibits hard liquor consumption in private or public gatherings. Champagne, malt liquor, wine and beer were prevalent on campus, representing a Beer Bike which included both great times and responsible drinking.

Another unique problem presented to the coordinators of this year's Beer Bike was the drop-out of many truck rentals. The coordinators smoothly executed the movement of the trash cans and every college was prepared for the balloon fight. Furthermore, this was the first year that the parade system was changed. The lengthy meandering of the Inner Loop was replaced with a cheer battle which was was perfectly spontaneous and brilliantly spirited. The lack of parade also allowed for fighting access to all colleges and ensured that more balloons were available for the actual battle. The fact that the fight ended earlier than usual likely encouraged more students to make it to the race, as attendance was exceptional with the grand stands full.

A final alteration was necesitated by the dangerously windy racing conditions plaguing the track. Heavy winds caused 11 injuries before Sawyer prudently called an "all-stop" on the track. After a quick conferral with the college coordinators, a decision was made to convert the race to a running competition. The Beer Bike leadership preserved biker safety while not depriving the audience of a winner.

To no fault of the coordinators or bikers, the numerous accidents that occured over the course of the three races are definitely a cause for concern, and moving into the future, it may be wise to take proactive precautions. First, reducing the total number of racers from ten to five or seven would ensure that a greater majority of competitiors are skilled bikers. Some of the more apathetic colleges are often forced to pull racers from the crowd who may lack the safety training and experience necesary for them to be apt racers in a very fast and very competitive arena. Secondly, the racers need to be more thoroughly monitored to ensure that they complete all necessary safety training prior to being permitted on the track. A racer should not be allowed to help fill out a team if they did not go through the tutorials during Willy Week.

All in all, the Thresher commends the 2011 Beer Bike coordinators for adeptly adjusting to unique circumstances and putting on an extremely successful Beer Bike.?

Let’s heal how we talk about food

How should we discuss food, then? I don’t want to be misunderstood as advising against all food-related conversations. I feel quite the opposite: eating is one of humanity’s oldest social rituals. It’s meant to bring us together. We’re at our best when we engage in conversations that center the enjoyment of food rather than its nutritional content. 

Re-return to campus — but to what end?

The first wave of COVID-19 erupted in the U.S. in early 2020. Rice responded quickly: During March 9-15, classes for the week preceding Spring Break were canceled, students were instructed not to return to campus after Spring Break, and instruction after Spring Break was made fully remote. This quick reaction to the pandemic was typical of many organizations and localities all around the country, as it became clear that social distancing was then the only effective way to slow down the spread of the disease. This seems to have worked and, by early May, the first wave was somewhat subsiding. The Rice administration then tasked the Academic Restart Committee with the mission of “Return to Rice.” 

Let’s reevaluate music as a social resource

To be sure, a poetic analogy between music and our differences will not resolve any issues directly. It can, however, remind us of our shared humanity. It can get us back in touch with our nature as social animals. It is a nature that is often oppressed by the individualism in our capitalistic society that encourages competition, putting too much focus on the dissonances for our own good.