Rice Baseball 2011: After hard work, Reckling given opportunity

By Christine Jeon     2/17/11 6:00pm

As the countdown for the first pitch of the season comes to an end, lately there is always one indisputable question that remains loud and clear above all other hype and excitement. Who will be dependable on the pitching staff this year?The last two years were less than satisfactory for Rice's pitching department. Injuries plagued the lineup in 2009, while the pressure on the team's young staff last year may explain the inconsistency in their pitching performance throughout the season. The stakes are higher than ever, as disappointed fans hope for a solid pitcher that will lead the road to Omaha, Neb. after a two year hiatus from the College World Series.

One guy sticks out from Graham's hand of aces. Junior Matthew Reckling, who spent this past summer in Santa Barbara, Calif. playing with the Santa Barbara Foresters of the California Collegiate League to improve his game, dominated fall ball practices that led Graham to say, "He should be an impact pitcher this spring."

So, how much of a "jump" did Reckling make during the off-season? Last season, he appeared in 10 games, only one as a starter. In the 15.2 innings he pitched, he tallied a 6.32 earned run average with an opponents batting average of .241. During the fall program, however, he started six out of seven game appearances, pitched a total of 25 innings with a 1.44 ERA and an opponents batting average of .181. For those who are slightly unfamiliar with baseball figures, we're talking about a quantum leap. Reckling's increase in arm strength, allowing him to touch 95 mph on the radar gun during fall ball, has also helped him move from starting just one game last year to a starting position in this weekend's rotation against nationally-ranked Stanford University. What made the difference?

"When I was at Santa Barbara, I told myself that I wanted to become a strike thrower and be one of the main pitchers and leaders on the staff," Reckling said. "I worked on my mechanics with Graham and Pierce and I took my mechanics to California and kept working on it. Things were getting better and I started to have more belief and confidence in myself."

Although preseason statistics mean nothing once the season actually commences, Reckling is taking his newly established confidence and performance as an opportunity to be a leader in the coming months.

"I hope to sustain my performance throughout the season, and be a dependable guy when I step on the mound," he said. "I'd like to get the respect from my teammates and coaches."

The rest of the pitching staff is consolidated of a solid line up that will play a crucial role in supporting the starters such as Reckling.

"I think [Coach] Graham is very excited about our new players," Reckling said. "We have solid closers, six starting options and a lot of middle reliefs."

Will the preseason success garnish the fans with hope for another trip to Omaha? Or will it be another disappointing season for the Owls? As it is for all games, only time and performance will tell.

"A lot of us components need to click together for us to get to Omaha. Hopefully the older guys will give a line of production," Reckling said.

"As part of the pitching staff it's all about having the mentality, confidence and dependence in each other, pounding the strike zone and trusting the guys on the field to make plays. Camaraderie and chemistry will also be a big part of success, and knowing how to come back and win when you're down.