Culture of care extends to aiding peers with mental health issues

By Allen Liao     2/17/11 6:00pm

I'm clinically depressed. I take antidepressants, and I see a therapist in the Counseling Center regularly. If you were to run into me today - perhaps chatting in the servery, waiting in line at Coffeehouse, lounging in Fondren or laughing with friends on the way to class - you would never be able to tell. If you know me personally, you probably had no idea. And why would I ever tell you? If you knew, you'd probably see me differently - you might judge me, look down on me, pity me or maybe even avoid me. So why am I telling you now? Because it's time to break the silence.Oh yes, we all know that Rice is one of the "happiest" colleges in the country. And it certainly seems that way: when we talk to our friends, we talk about classes, parties, campus events, weekend plans - we work hard, we play hard, we have fun, we're happy, productive, successful. But the sobering truth is that under the surface, too many of us are struggling to stay afloat. Too many of us are affected by mental health problems, too many of us are suffering in silence and too few of us are talking about it. It doesn't help that there is an enormous stigma surrounding mental illness. We can't talk to our friends about these issues - we don't want to be seen as crazy, weak, irrational, incapable, or otherwise abnormal. They wouldn't understand.

And it's true. Sadly, too many people just don't understand. "Sure," they might say. "Everyone has problems; everyone feels stressed or sad or anxious at times." But mental illness is something more. Like a dark, ever-looming cloud, it doesn't go away. And when it constantly overwhelms us with feelings like fear, despair, isolation, worthlessness, helplessness and hopelessness - when we feel like we're not in control and each day is a struggle - we need to break the silence, let someone know and get help. These feelings are often common and treatable symptoms of real disorders arising in the brain - as real and as prevalent as diseases like diabetes or strep throat. If you had strep throat, you wouldn't suffer alone in silence, would you? No, you would say something and get help.

To share some "unconventional wisdom" with you (courtesy of the National Institute of Mental Health):

Who knew . that college students are at the highest risk for developing mental health disorders (the high stress Rice environment combined with the fact that most mental disorders - anxiety disorders, mood disorders, schizophrenia - emerge in late adolescence)?

Who knew . that nearly half of all college students feel so depressed at one point that they have trouble functioning, half have had suicidal thoughts, and 1 in 10 have seriously considered a suicide attempt? (Just ask the harried Counseling Center and the Consultation and Assessment Team)

Who knew . that the 18-24 age group has the highest prevalence of mental illness at 27 percent (that's one in four people!), but the lowest rate of help-seeking - approximately two-thirds of students who need help don't seek it (even though the Counseling Center is free for students, and we have caring and supportive peers, RAs, and masters nearby in our residential colleges).

And who knew . that when in distress, 67 percent of students turn to a friend before telling anyone else?

Mental illness is real. You can't just "suck it up and deal with it." You need to speak out and tell a friend. And friends: you need to listen. We talk about a "Culture of Care" concerning alcohol use, but we also need to foster this culture of care and watch out for our peers when it comes to mental health. Chances are, someone around you is struggling with mental health issues - whether it be anxiety, depression, eating disorders, relationship issues, family problems, or otherwise.

When we notice someone that seems to be withdrawing from social situations, exhibiting a change in his or her usual behavior, or acting peculiar, we shouldn't be brushing it off, turning a blind eye, and ignoring it. We need to talk to them about it, address these issues, and help each other. We need to speak openly - there's nothing to be ashamed or embarrassed about. People with mental illness aren't dangerous, weak, unstable or incapable - they're most often the bright, successful, ordinary people we sit next to in class.

If you don't know me, you definitely know someone like me: Someone who has been suffering in silence because of the stigma surrounding mental illness. Let's transform this culture of silence at Rice into a culture of care and honesty. I challenge you: The next time that someone asks you, "How are you doing?" instead of replying with some variation of "good" or "fine," answer truthfully. Tell a friend when something is on your mind. Pay attention to the people around you, and don't hesitate to offer a friendly greeting or lend a sympathetic ear.

If the issue of mental health is important to you, if you'd like to connect with others who care for this cause, if you'd like to combat the lack of understanding about mental illness and help pave the way for a campus free from stigma, through large-scale mental health education and awareness at Rice, look out for an upcoming student organization called Active Minds (activeminds.org). If you'd like to get involved or want to learn more, send an email to ActiveMindsatRice@gmail.com. Together, we can change the conversation about mental health at Rice.

Allen Liao is a McMurtry College junior.