100 Days succeeds despite bus delays

By Seth Brown     2/24/11 6:00pm

Students attending 100 Days who went to the Sallyport at 11 p.m. Tuesday night for the planned shuttle service were in for a long wait or ended up having to get to Rich's Nightclub on their own thanks to a transport miscommunication.Senior Committee Member Darren Arquero said the shuttle service arrived around 12:45 a.m. Wednesday morning. The service, the Houston Wave, is owned by Jones School alumna Lauren Barrash ('08).

Barrash said she got on Facebook around 11:30 p.m. on Tuesday and got a message asking if the buses were running late. She then contacted her drivers, who had thought that they did not need to pick up students until 1:15 a.m. on Wednesday, and they went out to pick up students still waiting at the Sallyport and take students back who were ready to return to Rice.

Arquero said that 450 tickets were sold for the event, raising around $5,000 for the Senior Gala, but because the buses were late, there were about 100 fewer people there than they had expected.

"It sucks because people bought tickets and didn't get to go," Arquero said.

The senior committee was refunded the cost of having the Houston Wave drive for 100 Days and the Houston Wave has offered to provide free transport for the Senior Gala, Arquero said.

Besides the transport issues, Arquero said he was satisfied with the outcome of the event.

"I think it went really well - we had five bars open; it was really good business," Arquero said.

Martel College senior Jun Kim said he ended up cramming into a cab in order to get to Rich's Nightclub.

"We just ran toward Entrance One and tried to wave down a cab. One of them stopped and we stuffed a bunch of people into the back," Kim said.

Kim said that the event itself was exciting and a good experience, though he wondered why it was not advertised more.

"I feel like people didn't know about it - for some reason, it didn't quite catch on, I think," Kim said.