Friday, September 30, 2022 — Houston, TX

Sports notebook: Fall ball draws to a close today

By Jonathan Myers     11/4/10 7:00pm

With the advent of the somewhat chilly November weather, the baseball team's fall practices end today. While starting spots up for grabs on both the mound and the field will likely not be solidified until the team starts workouts again in January, the coaching staff will look at the stats produced in fall ball as an indicator of who could bring the most pop to the lineup or the most power from the mound. Of the hurlers, several players stand out as having improved remarkably since last spring. Junior Matthew Reckling has improved his control to a large extent, allowing four hits in five innings of work on Monday to go along with five strikeouts and just one walk. His fastball has been clocked consistently in the mid-90s, and his curve ball has remained solid. Fellow junior Taylor Wall additionally threw four scoreless innings on Monday, marking a strong finish for him.

It appears freshmen John Simms, Austin Kubitza and Kyle Mueller are all ready to play meaningful roles, with Kubitza being the most effective with his control. Mueller pitched 3.1 hitless innings on Oct. 28, demonstrating his viability as well.

Offensively, junior Jeremy Rathjen appears poised for a breakout season after hitting his third home run of the fall on Sunday. The shortstop position remains neck and neck, but freshman Derek Hamilton has slightly outhit classmate Shane Hoelscher. The right field spot is more complicated, with Head Coach Wayne Graham wishing to fill the spot with a left-handed bat such as junior Ryan Lewis or freshman Keenan Cook. But junior Daniel Gonzales-Luna hit safely in five consecutive scrimmages, putting him in the position of being a top candidate for the designated hitter's spot.

- Jonathan Myers

Review: ‘Do Revenge’ does right by beloved teen classics

Alfred Hitchcock’s 1951 film, “Strangers on a Train,” sees two strangers who team up to enact the perfect murder, swapping their victims so they could never be linked to the crime. Of course, the concept of a perfect murder is a compelling pillar of the psychological thriller genre — but what about a perfect revenge?

Review: Djo creates a dreamy, psychedelic journey with ‘DECIDE’

On “DECIDE,” actor and musician Joe Keery expands his solo project Djo’s sound to ambitious new places. Although many people primarily know Keery through the show “Stranger Things,” where he plays Steve Harrington, he’s been involved in music for years and is a former member of Chicago psych rock band Post Animal. “DECIDE” is his sophomore album, a follow up to 2019’s impeccable “Twenty Twenty.”

Review: ‘Industry’ takes the leap with a poignant second season

The finale of “Industry’s” stellar second season features a relatively cliché sports metaphor, so it’s only fitting to start this review with one of my own. There are a few universally satisfying moments in sports: the underdog who beats an obnoxious powerhouse, the aging star who has more left in the tank than we thought or the young talent who puts it all together and goes from promising to a superstar. This season, “Industry” took that leap.