Women's cross country misses prime opportunity

By Natalie Clericuzio     10/21/10 7:00pm

At the start of its season, the women's cross country team had three meets on its schedule that could have helped the team qualify for nationals. After the team's finish at the Pre-National Invitational in Terre Haute, Ind., the Owls now have only one shot remaining: the NCAA South Central Regional.The Owls placed 13th overall in the White Race after competing against 40 teams overall and nine ranked teams. Rice finished ahead of then-No.27 ranked University of Florida and traditional cross country powerhouses University of Georgia and University of Wisconsin.

Senior Nicole Mericle, who placed first overall at the Houston Baptist University/Puma Invitational on Oct. 9, finished sixth out of the seven Owls competing while battling a virus. Mericle's classmate, Britany Williams, led Rice, finishing 21st overall in 21:24 minutes.

Sophomore Halsey Fowler, junior Allison Pye and sophomore Marie Thompson finished close behind at 21:26, 21:46 and 21:53, respectively. Freshman Meredith Gamble came in at 22:01 and sophomore Heather Olson finished at 23:06.

However, Head Coach Jim Bevan believes that the team's finish was far below its potential.

"We were not clicking on all cylinders - it was a mixed review without question," he said.

"At 100 percent, I think we would've been sixth or seventh. We would've been with or beaten [No. 21 University of] Michigan and [No. 28] North Carolina State [University] . At 100 percent, I believe it would have been our best finish ever."

Even though Bevan was disappointed the team did not finish higher, he felt that the individual performances of Fowler, Thompson, Gamble and Pye were all impressive.

"Halsey, Marie and Meredith all had their best cross country races they have had," Bevan said. "Allison Pye ran a minute-ten faster than last year. She had her best race in two years, so we had three girls with their best races period or in recent memory."

The race was run on the course where the NCAA Championship race will be held on Nov. 22. But after the team's finish at Pre-Nationals, the Owls have to take top two in the regional meet in Waco, Texas on Nov. 13 to punch their ticket back to Nationals.

In order for that to happen, Williams thinks the only thing standing in the Owls' way is inside their heads.

"Obviously we're in shape and ready to go," Williams said. "We just have to put it all together that day."

While that kind of top finish is a tall order, it certainly is not unprecedented or out of the question for Rice by any means. Currently, the team is ranked third in the region behind the University of Texas and the University of Arkansas. In 2008, Rice placed second in the regional meet, while Mericle took first place and earned South Central Region athlete of the year honors. The 2008 season was also Mericle's most recent season of competition after redshirting in 2009.

Before the team competes at regionals, however, they have the Conference USA Championship to reclaim on Nov. 1. The University of Tulsa is hosting the meet, providing it yet another advantage on top of the strong season it has had - currently, the Golden Hurricane is ranked 23rd in the country and is the only C-USA squad in the top 30 in the nation.

Rice will need to overcome the Golden Hurricane and the University of Texas-El Paso, who is having a red-letter year of its own, to take back the top spot at conference. Rice placed third in 2009 and second in 2008, only to come out two weeks later and outperform all C-USA squads at the Regional meet. 2007 was the last time the Owls claimed the conference title, and the team would love to bring it back to Houston.

"I think that this year is one year we're really going to have to work for it," Williams said. "There are a lot of good teams in our conference, so it would be awesome to end on that note.

"I think we're hungry for it - I'm definitely hungry for it and I really want us to win conference just to prove ourselves. . We have so much more depth but that doesn't always come through in points. I want to prove that we are the best team in conference."

Although the Owls have a big task ahead of them the rest of the season, Bevan believes it's not more than they can accomplish.

"We're getting closer to where we need to be, but we're not there yet," Bevan said. "The good news is you're supposed to be running your best at the end of the season and if we can get to 100 percent, then we can be at our best when we're supposed to be.