Thursday, May 28, 2020 — Houston, TX °

Sid RAs to leave in a year

By Ami Dave     9/30/10 7:00pm

Sid Richardson College is saying goodbye to four members of its family at the end of this year: Nick and Kate Pascuzzi, one-year-old baby Lluisa and their famed DVD collection.The Pascuzzis are moving to Boston to be closer to family. Students agree that they have offered a great support system during their three years at the college. Sid Rich President Mary Johnson said that she has noticed a definite positive change in the dynamic at Sid Rich since the Pascuzzis' arrival.

"The Pascuzzis have changed the face of adult leadership at Sid [Rich]," Johnson said. "I now see so many more students getting to know the RAs and masters, which has created a stronger and happier college."

Many students have formed close ties with the Pascuzzis during their time at Sid Rich. Sid Rich junior Lauren Pemberton said she can't imagine having better RAs or friends.

"I remember when we met them during O-Week, they had us all crammed into their small home with their thousands of DVDs lined up around the room," Pemberton said. "Of course, no one really knew what RAs really did here at Rice yet, but when Nick and Kate said we could come by any time we wanted, I could tell that they were sincere."

The Pascuzzis said they think they have gotten so much from their relationship with Sid and its students.

"Being around young people all the time has broken down the barriers that most adults feel," the Pascuzzis said. "We have learned so much more from being here than others have learned from us."

Sid Rich students have already begun their search for new RAs.

"We are looking for someone who will really honor the adult/student relationship that the Pascuzzis have started," Johnson said.

RA Search Committee Chairs sophomore Matt Moran and junior Stephen Janda will be sending out committee member applications to all Sid Rich students to begin search for new RAs soon.

Editor's note: The RAs left in October 2010.

Rice mandates mask-wearing, shares vision to reopen campus

Rice announced the health protocols, which will be in place starting June 1 until further notice, in an email to students yesterday. Leebron had previously shared a $10 million budget gap caused by COVID-19 and the potential for full-time employees to be furloughed in a town hall on Friday.

Don’t overlook Black lives in pandemic solidarity

The COVID-19 pandemic seems to have given rise to a new phrase that has been thrown around by media outlets and social media users across the country: “We are all in this together.” Don’t get me wrong — I am not denying the fact that every person in this country has been impacted by the virus in some capacity, and I am certainly not denying the rise in local expressions of solidarity. Over the past couple months, we’ve seen students and volunteers across the country donate their time and resources to help their neighbors.  Young people have come together on social media platforms to address issues surrounding mental health and online learning, creating a sense of community while also practicing social distancing. I am not denying the presence of solidarity. What I would like to discuss, however, is the fallacy of solidarity in a racialized society.