RA to leave Wiess, Rice to pursue master's

By Ruby Gee     10/7/10 7:00pm

Wiess College Resident Associate Christa Leimbach will be leaving Wiess and Rice after this year to get her master's degree in higher education. On her third year as an RA, Leimbach said that she is sad to leave Wiess but is excited for the future as well."Being an RA has been an absolutely amazing experience," Leimbach said. "I've gotten to share my life with the Wiess students and it's been a lot of fun."

Also serving as the Assistant Director of the Community Involvement Center, Leimbach has balanced her on-campus job with a number of social events at Wiess. Active in intramural sports, she has also hosted summer get-togethers, tie-dying activities and TV nights for Glee and Monday night football.

"From going to powderpuff games, masters' tea and Wiess' musicals, there's [been] a lot of memories," she said. "Just fun moments on a smaller scale [and] interacting with everyone on a daily basis - that's what the highlight of my day is."

Wiess senior Robin Richards first met Leimbach through Rice's Urban Immersion program. She said that Leimbach is known at Wiess for her baked goods and fun study breaks.

"You can always talk to Christa, about silly or serious stuff," Richards said. "I'm devastated she's leaving - it's a big loss for Wiess."

Leimbach mentioned that of all the memories she's had with her students, her favorite has consistently been Orientation Week. She said she enjoyed the unparalleled passion for Wiess and its future during that week.

"I think there's so much energy on so many levels," she said. "It's crazy how a week can really shape someone's transition into Wiess."

Even during O-Week, Leimbach has been highly involved, screening and overseeing the creation of the event's T-shirts. Wiess junior Kunle Roberts said that Christa has done a lot for the college.

"She has a job and responsibilities but regardless of that, she takes out a lot of time to be with us," Roberts said. "She's really involved at Cabinet and a lot of Wiess events."

Wiess senior Emily Salomon said that Leimbach has made an effort to get along with everyone. She said Leimbach is down to earth and unassuming.

"She seems to really care about us," Salomon said. "I'm concerned about the college because we're losing the masters and RA - three of the adults that help make Wiess what it is."

Leimbach initially applied to be an RA when a group of students whom she met through ADVANCE, an organization aimed at improving gender equity in the campus, encouraged her to apply for the position. She said that going into the job, she wasn't sure what to expect exactly, but emphasized that she has truly enjoyed her experience.

"It really has been an honor," Leimbach said. "Just seeing students grow and change and take on leadership roles - hopefully I have built relationships with my students throughout my time as an RA.