Tuesday, May 07, 2024 — Houston, TX

Pavilion changes hours

By Joey Capparella     10/28/10 7:00pm

The Brochstein Pavilion has found itself in the midst of various controversies since its inception, ranging from discussions about the building's appearance, service providers, Coffeehouse's unsuccessful attempt to make a bid for the space and, most recently, operating hours.As of last week, Brochstein's hours have once again changed. New hours will be from 7 a.m. to midnight Monday through Thursday, 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. on Friday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Saturday and 9 a.m. to midnight on Sunday.

Salento, the current food service provider at Brochstein, has also extended its hours to 7 a.m. to 8 p.m. Monday through Thursday, 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. Friday, 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Saturday, and 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Sunday.

However, the building is now open past Salento's hours.

This change comes after a reduction in hours at the beginning of this semester, when Brochstein began closing at 7 p.m. during the week and 5 p.m. on weekends.

"We initially planned on doing this at the end of the semester, but it seemed like everyone really missed the longer hours," Project Manager C.J. Claverie said.

Claverie said that RAs from graduate housing have been hired not only to monitor the space for security purposes when it is open past Salento's hours but also to count people in the building and document how they are using the space.

Vice President for Administration Kevin Kirby and Claverie both said that these new hours are an experiment to see how the space is being used after the college presidents voiced student concerns about the previously reduced hours to President [David] Leebron.

"Before, we had a lot of data about when people were buying food but not about student use of the space," Kirby said. "When students reacted to the earlier hours, [Associate Vice President for Housing and Dining] Mark Ditman and I began looking at the costs for keeping the space open beyond when Salento's was open."

Duncan College juniors Mercedes Trigos and Christina Zarraga said they are pleased to see Brochstein available as a late-night study space again.

Zarraga said that she does not mind the fact that Salento closes before the space does.

"I just go to Coffeehouse instead because it's much cheaper and open late," Zarraga said.

Brown College sophomore Glory Nwaugbala said she thought Salento holding shorter hours than Brochstein was a good idea.

"I don't drink coffee, and the fact that there's no food or drink means that less people are here at night," Nwaugbala said. "It's much quieter in here.