Hobby discusses book

By Henry Deng     10/7/10 7:00pm

In celebration of the publication of his book, How Things Really Work: Lessons from a Life in Politics, former Texas Lieutenant Governor Bill Hobby (Wiess '53) returned to his alma mater to discuss his new book and his life in politics. On Wednesday at the Baker Institute, Hobby and longtime friend Saralee Tiede, who is currently director of communications at the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center at The University of Texas at Austin, discussed changes in Texas government, the major accomplishments during Hobby's term and Hobby's legacy.

According to Hobby, the major difference between his days in office and current Texas government is that it has become far more partisan. For example, there never used to be Democratic or Republican caucuses in the state.

When Tiede, who has known Hobby for 45 years and worked with him on his book over the last five to six years, was asked what Hobby's major accomplishment was while he served as lieutenant governor, she said that he stressed education above all. Hobby had a powerful, strategic vision for Texas in a national and global context.

As Hobby's speechwriter, Tiede said that she learned the value of brevity from Hobby. He would avoid the use of "I" or "we" in his speeches, which was unusual for a politician. In this way, Hobby would care more about getting the job done than advancing his own reputation.

Tiede said Hobby believed that success in Texas would depend on what was in people's minds, not what came out of the ground. Hobby said that in government, you should spend every nickel you can on education and then you can go home. Money not spent on education would otherwise be spent on welfare and prisons, which are far more costly. When asked what he wants people to remember about his years in public service, Hobby said, above all else, an emphasis on education.

President David Leebron, who introduced Hobby, said that it was appropriate for Rice to host Hobby, given that he attended as an undergraduate student, taught political science at the university and supported the institution with his family. Leebron agreed with Hobby's assessment of partisanship in the government.

"I always find Governor Hobby very interesting," Leebron said. "I think the thing that really struck me is, as Hobby observed, the change in government with increasing partisanship and a focus on politics rather than getting things done. [Hobby] is a great example of someone here who made government work in a bipartisan sort of way."

Russell Hall (Will Rice '86) attended the discussion and said he enjoyed Hobby's sense of humor. Furthermore, he thought what Hobby said was relevant to his life.

"I grew up attending schools affected by legislation in the Texas government," Hall said. "Everything said tonight was relevant to the education I got and the education my children are going to get."

Hobby graduated with a bachelor's degree in American history. During his time at Rice, he served as the editor of the Thresher. Later in his life, Hobby also taught and served on the board at Rice.

Hobby served a record 18 years from 1973 to 1991 as Texas' 37th Lieutenant Governor, a role in which he presided over the Texas State Senate. Hobby is the son of William P. Hobby Sr., who served as lieutenant governor from 1914-1917 and then as governor of Texas from 1917-1921. Houston's Hobby Airport was named after Hobby Sr.

The discussion in the Baker Institute was moderated by Steve Murdock, professor of sociology and director of the Hobby Center for the Study of Texas at Rice. Introducing Hobby were Leebron, Texas State Senator Rodney Ellis and former Texas State Senators Max Sherman and Ray Farabee.

How Things Really Work: Lessons from a Life in Politics includes candid reflections about Hobby's days in office and his perspective on what government should and should not do. More information about the book can be found on www.billhobby.com.