Friday, May 27, 2022 — Houston, TX

Friday's Sports Update : Volleyball defeats UTEP in home conference match

By Daniel Elledge     9/30/10 7:00pm

The women's volleyball beat the University of Texas-El Paso, 3-1, in a crucial Conference USA match on Friday night at Tudor Fieldhouse. The win brings the Owls to an 8-8 record with a 3-1 record in conference play. It wasn't an easy game as UTEP made sure Rice earned it.In the first set, Rice got off to a good start by taking a 14-8 lead. UTEP stormed back to tie the set at 15-15, but Rice pulled away as they won the set 25-20. Senior middle back Nancy Cole and junior outside blocker Ashleigh McCord led the team with five kills in the set. Senior libero Tracey Lam had six digs while senior setter Meredith Schamun had 11 assists and three digs.

In the second set, UTEP made sure that this match would be somewhat of a contest. Rice had the early 7-4 lead but UTEP had a strong surge to take a 14-10 lead and didn't turn back as they went on to win the set 25-22 and tie the match at 1-1. Cole had five kills in the set as McCord added three kills and Lam had five digs. Schamun had 16 assists and in the second set, she became the all-time Rice women's volleyball leader in assists with 4,541.

In the third set, Rice got up to a dream start as they started the set with a 5-1 lead. UTEP fought back and took the lead at 11-10. The Owls came back and took the lead 19-14, a lead they would never give up as they won the set 25-18 to take a 2-1 lead in the match. McCord led the Owls with six kills in the set while Lam had nine digs and Schamun added 15 assists.