Sports notebook: Soccer coach leaving Rice

By Natalie Clericuzio     9/16/10 7:00pm

Soccer Head Coach Chris Huston is leaving Rice, effective immediately, Director of Athletics Rice Greenspan announced on Wednesday. Huston had served as head coach since 2001, the first year of the program at Rice. Associate Head Coach Nicky Adams will take over as interim coach upon Huston's departure.

Huston was not present at practice on Wednesday, and at the end of practice Greenspan notified the team that Huston was no longer the squad's coach. The team had no prior notice of Huston's departure. Members of the team contacted by the Thresher declined to comment.

Greenspan was unavailable for comment on the departure of Huston.

During Huston's time at Rice she led the team to the NCAA tournament twice, in 2004 and 2005 and won a Conference USA Championship in 2005. The team's record during her tenure stands at 91-78-13. In the first year of the program, the team posted a 7-9 record, was seeded second in the Western Athletic Conference Tournament and Huston was honored as Coach of the Year.

Adams has been on staff since 2003 and has held the position of associate head coach since 2006.

- Natalie Clericuzio