Wednesday, May 01, 2024 — Houston, TX

Nature-themed works put on display in Brochstein

By Molly Chiu     9/16/10 7:00pm

The white walls of Brochstein Pavilion are bare no more - "paraMuseum: Environmental Exigencies," a new photographic project by artist Charles Mary Kubricht, moved into its permanent home at Brochstein on Tuesday evening. Visitors to the Pavilion can see the four striking four foot by eight foot photographs on the wall opposite the food and beverage kiosk.The black and white photographs depict four leaves, each from a different indigenous oak tree on campus. Kubricht gathered the leaves herself and then photographed each leaf using a high-resolution camera.

"My work is about observation of detail," Kubricht said.

After examining the leaves she collected from across campus, Kubricht selected the four with the most interesting details. The attention to detail becomes obvious to the viewer when the photographs are magnified on canvas to a height of six feet - Kubricht relates their scale to Alice's adventures in Wonderland. One definitely gets the impression of having taken a shrinking potion when looking at the enormous leaves.

The photographs not only provide a unique and close-up view of the complexity of nature but also make an excellent addition to Brochstein. They are well worth a second, more analytical look, even if you are just standing in line to order a drink.

Kubricht started her career in painting, but after spending so much time in nature, she decided that photography was a better medium to capture her vision. She now considers her small point-and-shoot camera her sketchbook and cites her enjoyment of snapping pictures of nature and the environment around her home in Marfa, Texas, as a great inspiration.

"Being in nature has totally changed how I approach my work," she said.

Her passion for art was evident as she described her philosophy, saying that photography allows her to directly reproduce nature out of nature.

"Black and white photos are a direct reference to memory," she said. The commanding presence of the leaves certainly makes an impression in the viewer's memory.

University Art Director Molly Hipp Hubbard said she is thrilled with Kubricht's work. She said the Rice Art Committee was looking for an environmental artist to bring the outside in. Kubricht's focus on nature definitely accomplishes that goal.

Kubricht's installation is a part of the Rice Centennial Campaign's push for a public art program on campus. The Rice Art Committee commissions artists for site-specific projects, such as the space in Brochstein and the sculptures in the Barbara and David Gibbs Recreation and Wellness Center. Hubbard hopes to bring more dynamic and interesting pieces to Rice in the future.

Kubricht was excited to work with Rice because she knew the university's reputation for sustainability. She applauds Rice's effort to protect and preserve the greenery on campus.

"I knew from the beginning [the exhibit] would be about the trees," Kubricht said, describing Rice as a "tree museum." Through this project, she hopes to preserve the nature of Rice on film.

"The important aspect of my work is that I'm really committed to the environment," she said.

Now students, faculty and staff can enjoy Kubricht's artistic snapshot of her environmental commitment on display in Brochstein.