Friday, May 29, 2020 — Houston, TX °

Getcheroxoff 2010 steps up security with wristbands

By Jocelyn Wright     9/2/10 7:00pm

Taking a leaf out of Night of Decadence's book, organizers of Lovett College's fall public party, Getcheroxoff, will be taking several measures to increase security and prevent non-Rice students from attending the party. The theme for this year's party, which will be held on Sept. 11 from 10 p.m. to 2 a.m., is the Candy Shoppe, with candy-themed decorations throughout the commons. These measures were prompted by unforeseen crowd issues at last year's Getcheroxoff, which Lovett Social Michael Powers said was due to the increase in the size of the freshman class last year.

"The goal is to prevent [inappropriate behavior from] groups of uninvited people who don't know Rice policy and who don't respect our culture," Powers, a Lovett junior, said.

The proximity of Lovett to Main Street and the METRORail makes the college especially vulnerable to unwanted guests, who caused the majority of the problems at last year's Getcheroxoff, Lovett Social Miya Kumangai said.

To prevent similar problems this year, the socials began planning for the party last May to ensure it would be as safe as possible. They consulted with each other, the Lovett masters and Rice University Police Department in the party-planning process.

Lovett Social Katherine McChonachie said admission to the party would still be free, but that Lovett students would be in all of the colleges' commons handing out wristbands to Rice students the week before the party. The free wristband will be necessary to enter the public party, McConachie, a sophomore, said. Each Rice student will be allowed to bring one guest to the party, but they must register that guest at a table outside the entrance to the party. There will also be a separate table outside the public party distributing wristbands to Rice students who did not acquire a wristband prior to the party.

McConachie said they wanted to make the security measures as painless as possible.

There will also be approximately 10 student security personnel patrolling each hour to guard the entrance and exit to the public party, as well as the entrance to the stairs, which is about the same amount of security Lovett had at Casino Party last year, Kumangai, a junior, said.

Wiess College senior Darren Arquero said he saw the point behind the enhanced security, but he still found it a little strange and surprising for a party other than NOD.

"It's not the Rice party culture," Arquero said. "I think people will not want to go because it's so much more policed."

Assistant Director of Student Programs Rebecca Wrynn said she thought Lovett's party plan would create a safe party for all students.

"I think they're really going the extra mile to plan a good event," Wrynn said.

Rice mandates mask-wearing, shares vision to reopen campus

Rice announced the health protocols, which will be in place starting June 1 until further notice, in an email to students yesterday. Leebron had previously shared a $10 million budget gap caused by COVID-19 and the potential for full-time employees to be furloughed in a town hall on Friday.

Don’t overlook Black lives in pandemic solidarity

The COVID-19 pandemic seems to have given rise to a new phrase that has been thrown around by media outlets and social media users across the country: “We are all in this together.” Don’t get me wrong — I am not denying the fact that every person in this country has been impacted by the virus in some capacity, and I am certainly not denying the rise in local expressions of solidarity. Over the past couple months, we’ve seen students and volunteers across the country donate their time and resources to help their neighbors.  Young people have come together on social media platforms to address issues surrounding mental health and online learning, creating a sense of community while also practicing social distancing. I am not denying the presence of solidarity. What I would like to discuss, however, is the fallacy of solidarity in a racialized society.