Monday, May 06, 2024 — Houston, TX

My First Time deflowers sex stigma

39afbf154a62a9b6df0b1308716ffbde

By Lolley McConnell     4/8/10 7:00pm

The stories of My First Time range from romantic to funny to painful to absurd, as eight actors on a bare stage recount others' tales of the first time they bared it all. With anecdotes gathered from the Web site www.myfirsttime.com, the play showcases multiple perspectives on virginity and delivers the message that no matter how your first time worked out, never fear, for there will be many, many other chances to get it right. Co-directed by Wiess College sophomore Matt Banks and Lovett College senior Sarah Lyons, the off-Broadway show is appearing at Rice for a second consecutive year, and it reveals a significant maturity in this run. The onstage monologues are supported by a multimedia display, which provides statistics and celebrity quotes about their own initiations. While most of the stories are scripted, the audience is encouraged to get involved by filling out an anonymous survey that is then given to the actors. As a result, there's a chance your first time will be part of the act.

The acting in My First Time is incredibly strong, especially considering that each performer has upwards of 10 to 12 characters to play. The slap-dash pace of switching between a 42-year-old virgin holding out for love to a pre-teen one-night stand never inhibits the cast's energy. Most of the transitions are flawless, with one-liners coming right on cue to make My First Time more humorous than awkward.

One of the standout performances comes from Jones Graduate School of Business staff member Sherry Wang, who portrays a young girl who has sex with her brother who is dying of leukemia. Her portrayal of both the shame it causes and the heartache of losing a sibling make for a sober pause in the otherwise upbeat landscape of the play.

Perhaps the only misstep came with a particularly evangelical character, played by Wiess sophomore Amit Suneja, who preaches to the other three actors on stage about the evils of sex outside of marriage. The character, delivered with a strong Southern accent, is over the top and repeatedly yells about the fire-and-brimstone consequences of pleasure. The character is meant to be the type of naysayer whose discomfort with sexuality prompted the Web site's and the play's creation, yet he comes off as a parody of conservative values. While the performance states its aim to make people feel comfortable with their first times, mocking those who make the choice to wait for marriage seems to undercut its very mission to respect others.

The choice to bring the play to Rice a second year highlights the desire of students to make sexual experiences more acceptable. The show is highly entertaining and a positive reminder that the first time is just that: a first. One of the most memorable quotes of the play expresses other firsts - your first steps, first words - as hardly your best. My First Time will have you laughing and might have you crying, but it will certainly leave you with no regrets.