Baker enters final stage in search for RA

By Kern Vijayvargiya     4/15/10 7:00pm

Baker College will select a new Resident Associate by April 23, as current RA Jessica Logan is leaving at the end of this year.Baker President Megan McSpedon chose eight Baker students to form a RA search committee, Liz Young, RA search committee co-chair, said. McSpedon hoped to choose students who had not been previously involved with Baker's student governing body, Young, a Baker sophomore, said.

RA applications were due on April 14. There are seven applicants. Interviews will be held April 17.

Logan, a cognitive psychology professor who teaches the Research Methods class, is taking a maternity leave but will return to Rice in the future, she said.

"Being an RA is an incredibly unique opportunity to be part of student life on campus," Logan said. "After knowing the students for years, I look at many of the Baker alumni as friends, not just students anymore. I will really miss living with the students, watching people grow from shy freshmen to confident seniors and getting a bird's-eye view of all the amazing things each student accomplishes."

Young, who works in Logan's cognitive psychology lab, said she will greatly miss Logan.

"I'm really bittersweet because she was one of the most fun teachers I've ever had," Young said. "She is an amazing RA and person in general. She will be missed by Bakerites."

In her lab, Logan and the graduate students who work with her have designed a Guitar Hero-like game featuring science. First graders will play the game and Logan will see if they can learn science this way, Young said.

"This is a very happy and a very sad occasion for me," Logan said. "My partner, Matt, and I are thrilled to be starting a family of our own but I am so sad to leave my Baker family."

Although Logan will step down as Baker RA, she will remain a Baker Associate. She said that she plans to stay involved in college activities, including Orientation Week, powderpuff, Baker Shake, and Beer Bike.

Logan wishes all the best for whoever is to fill her spot and hopes they will have as good as an experience in the position.

"I encourage anyone who wants to be more involved in student life at Rice to apply to be an RA. It is a once-in-a-lifetime experience you will always remember."

Hallie Jordan contributed to this article.