Thursday's Sports Update : California downs baseball team 8-6 to begin weekend four-game series

By Ryan Glassman     3/11/10 6:00pm

The baseball team was unable to dig themselves out of an early hole, falling 8-6 on Thursday night to the home run-happy University of California at Reckling Park Thursday evening. Sophomore Taylor Wall got the start for the Owls (8-6) but surrendered six runs in five and 2/3 innings of work. California (8-3) catcher Chadd Krist hit a line drive over the wall in left field to give the Golden Bears a 3-0 lead in the top of the first inning. The Cal offense delivered again in the sixth inning when third baseman Tony Renda took Wall deep, pushing the Golden Bears' lead to 6-0 with their second three-run home run of the game.

But the Owls offense, scoreless by Cal ace Erik Johnson for the first six innings, rallied in the bottom of the seventh to cut into the deficit. Rice had one hit and drew four walks in the inning, scoring four times off of Cal's bullpen to cut the lead to 6-4.

The Golden Bears doubled their lead in the top of the eighth with another home run, this one a solo shot off of Owls sophomore Matthew Reckling. Cal tacked on their second run of the inning on a squeeze play, giving themselves an 8-4 lead.

Rice sophomore shortstop Anthony Rendon hit a solo home run to lead off the eighth, his third of the young season, to cut the Golden Bears' lead to 8-5 heading into the final inning. The Owls rallied in the bottom of the ninth after freshman Michael Ratterree and sophomore Michael Fuda delivered back-to-back singles, followed by a walk to freshman Chase McDowell. Trailing by three runs with the bases loaded, Rendon came to the plate and drew a walk, bringing in Ratterree to make the score 8-6. Junior Chad Mozingo came to the plate and hit a line drive right to California second baseman Brian Guinn, who caught the ball on a fly and doubled off Owls pinch-runner Daniel Gonzales-Luna at second base to end the game.

The Owls and the Golden Bears will play the second game of the four-game series on Friday evening at 6:30 p.m. at Reckling Park.