Saturday, May 18, 2024 — Houston, TX

ROPE trips offer outdoor opportunities

By Johanna Ohm     3/18/10 7:00pm

Maybe I was high on spring break and too much sunshine, but after a rigorous week of backcountry camping in Big Bend National Park, I felt great.Sure, I came back with worn-out sneakers and multiple loads of laundry; I had aching shoulders, tired muscles and a sore butt; my hair, attempting the "sexy camp hair" look, would better be described as "I-can-tell-you-haven't-showered-in-a-week hair;" the smell emanating from my shoes to my travel bag was disgusting; to top it off, my insides didn't feel so hot, either.

But the best part? I was completely indifferent to it all.

Something about fresh air, no homework and good conversation can be completely distracting. The fascinating people, well-planned activities, challenging hikes and beautiful scenery made for a fabulous campus getaway that gave me and other participants a chance to take a break from studying, from Houston, from the mundane, and allowed us an excellent opportunity to explore one of Texas' greatest treasures.

For my first experience on a trip organized by Rice Outdoor Programs and Education, I was tremendously impressed. I had no idea what to expect prior to leaving on my weeklong adventure, and I think most of the other students in the group felt the same way. ROPE is a resource underutilized by many students on campus and it was difficult to find people who knew much about the different programs and the trips themselves. Without having heard any recommendations, I was admittedly uncertain about spending my entire spring break, not to mention my money, backpacking in the middle of the wilderness. And if you asked me on the first two nights of our travels, I'm not so sure I would have been confident about my decision. We were frozen after camping in sub-30 degree weather and still uncomfortable with group dynamics, and even our regular school backpacks full of textbooks hadn't prepared us for carrying 50 pounds of luggage strapped around our shoulders and waists.

But as the week progressed, uncertainty changed to confidence. On our third day out, the weather was sunny and gorgeous; we were energized from hearty bowls of breakfast oatmeal; we had finally adjusted to our boots and packs and we all decided to make the trek up Texas' second-highest peak, Emory Peak. The view from the top was incredible: a panoramic vista that allowed us to see straight to Mexico. We marveled at the crinkled landscape that looked like sheets of wrinkly cloth molded into mountains. No sight of civilization as far as the eye could see. During the entire hike back, we remained in awe of the spectacular scene.

That night we all crawled together in one crowded tent, sharing stories, jokes and laughter. We reveled in our sense of accomplishment of finishing our eight-mile hike, and found a shared appreciation for a warm sleeping bag and lively conversation after a long, wonderful day.

By week's end, we had all become experts on backcountry cuisine, tent-pitching and efficient ways to pack a sleeping bag. We got the chance to see the stars in a sky that was clean, clear and free of ambient light; I learned how to sing "Deep in the Heart of Texas;" we saw birds, deer, and wild boars called javelinas; we soaked in the bubbling hot springs along the Rio Grande River. And we all agreed we would do it again.

It was funny to see how quickly we all changed and grew over the course of such a short time. The twelve-hour van ride on the way back was different from the outgoing ride - and it wasn't because of the smell. After just one week in the wild, I think we all learned how to be stronger leaders, caring team members and more environmentally conscious individuals.

The ROPE spring break trip to Big Bend, organized by staff at the Barbara and David Gibbs Recreation and Wellness Center, has been one of the most memorable experiences of my first year at Rice. I highly recommend that students take advantage of these trips. ROPE offers a wide array of options, from weeklong trips over breaks to weekend getaways or short day hikes. These trips are awesome ways to sightsee areas outside of Houston, meet new people and enjoy the beautiful Texas weather. A list of upcoming trips is posted on the Rec Center Web site at www.ruf.rice.edu/ricerec/rope/trips.html and on posters at the ROPE office in the Rec Center.

The trips are well worth looking into and inexpensive for those of us on a tight budget: My six-day trip cost $350, which included transportation, all meals, gear rentals and experienced trip leadership. The trips are open to both undergraduate and graduate students, as well as to faculty and staff. And, to avoid any excuses, the programs are also extraordinarily flexible. Each trip allows participants some degree of independence: As a varsity athlete, I was still able to get my training done over the break while enjoying the vacation. For others with time conflicts and busy schedules, ROPE offers the chance to plan your own trip, providing cheap rates for students to rent camping equipment, hiking gear and kayaks or canoes.

If you're currently considering one of the trips, go for it. If you are itching to try mountain climbing or white water rafting, stop by the Rec Center. And if you have never heard of ROPE before, it's time to check it out!

Rice Adds Women’s Golf with Alumna Donation

Three months after the reinstatement of Rice’s diving team, athletic director Tommy McClelland announced a second sport coming to South Main in the near future. Rice will have a women’s golf team starting in the 2026-27 academic year.