Eater's Digest:Vegging out

By Scott Norgaard     3/25/10 7:00pm

There are many reasons people may choose to become vegetarian. They may become vegetarian for health-related reasons, for animal rights, to protest practices in the farming business or simply to try something new. This week, we'll focus on whether or not being a vegetarian is healthier than an omnivore's diet. Although there are different types of vegetarians - pescatarians eat fish, pollo-vegetarians eat chicken, and even so-called "flexitarians" occasionally eat meat - the most common form of vegetarianism is lacto-ovo-vegetarianism, which allows eating eggs and dairy, but no animal protein. This type of vegetarianism will be our focus.

We often hear that abstaining from animal protein is better for you. GoVeg.com lists the innumerable benefits of a vegetarian diet. It turns out vegetarians have lower risks of heart disease, cancer and strokes - some of the leading causes of death in the United States. The Web site also cites the American Dietetic Association's statement that vegetarians have "lower blood cholesterol levels, lower blood pressure and lower rates of hypertension, type 2 diabetes, and prostate and colon cancer." Statistically, it would appear that vegetarians do in fact have the upper hand over carnivores in matters of health.

Or do they?

Not so fast. Vegetarians' diets are sometimes deficient in nutrients that can be obtained from meat. According to MayoClinic.com, vegetarians commonly suffer protein, calcium, vitamin B-12, iron and zinc deficiencies - serious business, considering these nutrients and vitamins facilitate bodily functions. To compensate, vegetarians should be aware of meat alternatives such as soy, tempeh, nuts, eggs, dairy and whole grains, which can meet their protein needs. Calcium, which is commonly found in animal products, can be found in dairy products and dark, leafy vegetables as well. Vitamin B-12 is a common ingredient of enriched cereals or fortified food products, and iron can be found in dark, leafy green vegetables, lentils and dried beans and peas.

A more extreme form of vegetarianism, veganism, has also been associated with outright health risks. Vegans abstain from all animal products, so often foods like dairy products, eggs, cheese - sometimes even honey - are off limits. According to Dr. Michelle Warren, professor of medicine at New York Presbyterian Medical Center, vegan diets can contribute to low bone mass and osteoporosis.

Vegetarians have to be more creative about getting all the amino acids they need from non-animal sources of protein. Soy is a complete protein, and combinations of certain foods - rice and beans, for instance - when paired together, make up a complete supply of all the necessary amino acids.

It also turns out that eating meat does have numerous health benefits. Red meat, the enemy of vegetarians, contains complete, high-quality protein. TLC Cooking states that "recent research has shown that eating lean beef, veal and pork is just as effective in lowering bad low density lipoprotein cholesterol and raising good high density lipoprotein cholesterol in your blood as is eating lean poultry and fish." In addition, animal meats are complete proteins, which means they contain all the amino acids your body needs.

It is important to remember that being vegetarian does not automatically make you a healthier eater or your diet "better." Vegetarians still need to consume moderate amounts of sugar, protein and other nutrients in sources other than animal protein. And don't be fooled by labels: Vegetarian food isn't always nutritious.

Overall, I'd be hesitant to say that a vegetarian diet is particularly healthier than is an omnivorous diet. However, if there are other reasons you don't want to eat meat - perhaps for animal rights - I would not dissuade you from trying. Just remember that while abstaining from meat, you will have to take certain precautions to avoid deficiencies in your diet that animal protein would otherwise provide.

Scott Norgaard is a Sid Richardson College freshman.

Rice Adds Women’s Golf with Alumna Donation

Three months after the reinstatement of Rice’s diving team, athletic director Tommy McClelland announced a second sport coming to South Main in the near future. Rice will have a women’s golf team starting in the 2026-27 academic year.