First step to Omaha slated to begin with eager yet untested Ratterree

By Ryan Glassman     2/18/10 6:00pm

Today, in Palo Alto, Calif., the baseball team will embark on what promises to be a long and exciting 2010 campaign whose success will once again be defined by the program's characteristically high ambitions. And when the first pitch is thrown at Sunken Diamond stadium at 5:30 p.m. PST, it will be on Rice freshman Mike Ratterree's shoulders to start the season off on the right foot. Not that there's an exorbitant amount of concern with the freshman taking the first pitch. Ratterree is, after all, a highly touted second baseman, having earned Texas High School Baseball Coaches Association Player of the Year honors while a two-sport star of Houston's Memorial High School. And while the humble Ratterree will be the last one to tell you of his numerous baseball accolades, there is no suppressing his excitement about the upcoming season.

"No doubt about it, I'm thrilled for the beginning of the season," Ratterree said. "It's time for us all to see what our team can do."

Ratterree's first at-bat versus Stanford University today will conclude what has been a long and winding path to Rice baseball, a journey that picked up speed at Memorial in the fall of 2008. A stellar junior season launched a recruiting campaign unparalleled in the city of Houston, and after narrowing down his suitors, Ratterree finally signed with Rice on Nov. 12, 2008.

His future locked up, Ratterree could have coasted. Could have, but didn't. His senior season, Ratterree hit .517 with 12 HRs and 42 RBIs in just 33 games while leading his team to a district title and earning Louisville Slugger All-America first team honors.

And just one week into his freshman year on campus, Ratterree was out at Reckling Park taking part in the team's laborious fall practice schedule.

Ratterree quickly gained familiarity with the Owls' baseball program during the fall season. In the team's exhibition against Texas State University on Oct. 25, Ratterree recorded a single and made a number of key plays on defense, rounding out his fall season in impressive fashion. But the preseason was not without its bumps for Ratterree, who required 30 stitches above his eye after colliding with sophomore outfielder Daniel Gonzales-Luna in practice on Feb. 8. The infielder expects to be fully healthy for opening day.

Ratterree made a name for himself playing shortstop in high school, where his strong arm and athletic ability were maximized. But with the left side of the infield loaded with talent - junior shortstop Rick Hague will be looking to display his chops for the major league scouts once more, and sophomore third baseman Anthony Rendon could very well be the best second-year player in the conference - Ratterree will start at second base for the Owls.

Head Coach Wayne Graham, impressed with Ratterree's hitting in fall ball, has also placed the freshman in the leadoff spot to start the season.

"Ratterree's got a chance to be a really good player," Graham said. "He has already displayed a remarkably good eye for the strike zone."

When asked about the prospect of potentially hitting leadoff, Ratterree spoke highly of the responsibility.

"It would be a great honor to hit leadoff on a top-ranked team," Ratterree said. "I know I'd have great hitters behind me, so I would see a lot of good pitches to hit."

But no matter where Ratterree finds himself in the order, he has already set a few personal goals for the upcoming season.

"I would like to improve on defense and hit above .300," Ratterree said. "But my ultimate goal is the team one, which is to bring the College World Series title back to Rice."

Despite the challenging goals in tow, Ratterree is looking forward to the upcoming season as much as he is that first pitch against the Cardinal this evening. And while we all know where the first pitch of the season will be, if the last one comes in June at Omaha's Rosenblatt Stadium, it's safe to say that Ratterree will be a key reason why.