NOD attracts whole new world of scantily clad

By Seth Brown     11/5/09 6:00pm

While some partygoers may enjoy fond memories of Wiess College's Night of Decadence, others are still trying to figure out what exactly happened - or at least wish they were unsure. Approximately 1,300 Rice students and their guests - 100 more than last year - descended on the Wiess quad and commons for the four-hour Disney-themed party last Saturday.

Wiess Social Vice Presidents Charlie Dai and Molly Bryan described the party as a success, despite some minor hitches.

"Like any party, there were small things, but security was successful at keeping everything in control," Dai, a Wiess sophomore, said.

Unlike last year, there were no malicious fire alarm pulls.

Bryan, a Wiess junior, said most of the issues arose with those unfamiliar with NOD's rules.

"A few local people not affiliated with Rice tried to get in but weren't let in," Bryan said.

A handful of ticketholders, once at the party, were turned back at Rice University Police Department's discretion, Dai said.

"Very intoxicated individuals were ... sent back to their own colleges," he said.

RUPD Captain Dianna Marshall said there were 11 referrals to Student Judicial Affairs, nine of which were alcohol violations and two of which were trespassing infractions. Marshall said there was also an assault citation made to the City of Houston.

An ambulance remained at Wiess through the duration of the party, and Dai said he had only heard of one instance for which it was necessary during the party, at one of the North colleges.

Wiess seniors Alex Bonnel, Brett Wakefield and Zachary Wilson, all of whom were dressed as the Jamaican bobsled team from the film Cool Runnings, cat-walked and pole-danced their way to first place in the costume competition, though Bryan also mentioned partygoers dressed as WALL-E and the Cheshire Cat were among her personal favorites.

Baker College junior Connor Hayes, who dressed as a banana, said he thought the party was similar to the previous few years.

"I got there, and it was wicked trashy, which isn't what I'm into anymore, though I definitely had a really good time the past two years," Hayes said.

This article has been changed from its previous content.