Saturday, May 04, 2024 — Houston, TX

Baker masters search begins

By Seth Brown     11/12/09 6:00pm

The Baker College master search began two weeks ago with the selection of its search committee co-chairs, Baker senior Bradley Houston said. Houston said Baker President Kathy Kellert asked he and Baker sophomore Peter Borden to be co-chairs. They formed the search committee the following week from a pool of 18 applicants.

In addition to Houston and Borden, the committee consists of two freshmen, three sophomores, one junior, one senior, Sid Richardson College Master Dale Sawyer and Baker Resident Associates Emily and Eric Page.

The new masters will replace English Professors José Aranda and Krista Comer, who have served as masters for the past five years.

In the search for new masters, the committee hopes to find someone who will connect well with Baker's culture, Houston said.

"We have a sense of community, and it's really a culture of respect," he said. "We want someone who will support the student leadership without micromanaging."

The committee has sent out applications to professors who have expressed interest or who have been suggested as potential candidates by the Baker community. The committee members are hoping to widen the field of possibilities, however, since a number of professors they have approached have either declined to apply or do not have tenure, a requirement for any prospective master.

"Ideally, the interviews will be done before winter break, as the choice has to be made by the end of February," Borden said.

Houston and Borden agreed that while President David Leebron has the final say in the selection, it is important that the students play the primary role.

"It's a really important process, and it's almost completely student run," Houston said.

Baker sophomore Kieran Lyons said although he didn't know the departing masters well, he thought they had done a good job.

"They know the right place to be," Lyons said. "They're available, but not always there - they have their own lives, too.