Moore returns with sensationalist take on loving Capitalism

b003b180ca911ae3e2e64d1aa83a03ea

By Erika Kwee     10/1/09 7:00pm

In no way is Capitalism: A Love Story your average love story. Nor is it a love story that anyone should be prepared to take too seriously.Michael Moore, one of the film world's most notorious creators of blatantly biased commentaries, "uncovers the secrets of capitalism" in a highly affected 127-minute film altogether too ludicrous to be seen as the message Moore intends. Capitalism follows Moore around the country as he explores the exploited masses of America - the hardworking middle-class whose houses are being foreclosed, the unpaid factory workers and the thousands of people who have had their jobs cut due to capitalism.

The filmmaker strives to demonstrate that not only has capitalism turned into an evil, mismanaged system that coddles the rich and exploits the poor, but that it can be credited for the unjust conviction of juvenile delinquents, underpaid airplane pilots, secret "plutonomy" memos between elite Citibank members and employers' embezzlement of millions of dollars from their employees' insurance benefits.

There may be some truth to these travails wrought by capitalism - but Moore doesn't see his vision through. He doesn't pose a solution to these problems, nor does he even logically parse the problems at hand. One of Moore's most glaring logical flaws is his suggestion of substituting democracy for capitalism. Democracy, for all its glorious ideals, is not an economic system, so how could it be implemented as one? Moore irrationally sets capitalism and democracy at opposite sides of the spectrum, suggesting that capitalism be completely eliminated in favor of the far-superior democratic system.

In typical fashion, Moore expertly utilizes dramatic music to the best possible effect, both proving his points and highlighting ironic ends. The camera work, generally smooth, is interspersed with some incredibly gritty, shaky shots that convey a realistic sense of bouncing along right next to Moore. The filmmaker further deviates from camera convention by using creative graphic effects during a clip of one of former President Bush's speeches to hilarious effect.

Moore's trademark deadpan commentary generates more than a few laughs, but while he may have the audience in stitches, one can't help but wonder at the validity - and even the underlying sincerity - of the film's message.

Take his testimonies, for instance. Instead of speaking to bankers and lenders, those directly involved in the economic process, Moore includes a lengthy segment from someone who should be outside the system entirely: a priest. Father Dick Preston contributes a quote that goes something along the lines of "Capitalism is precisely what the holy books remind us is unjust." Who exactly is this man and how is he qualified to administer economic advice? Ah, right, the priest who married Michael Moore and his wife.

Another priest interviewed in the film describes capitalism as "radically evil." And after a particularly heart-wrenching segment that reveals that Taco Bell managers make more than entry-level pilots, who may or may not have to revert to food stamps due to their criminally-low wages, Moore somberly notes, "Capitalism allows you to get away with anything."

Well, capitalism does allow a freer reign over economic control, but "anything" is a bit of a stretch - a stretch of the Michael Moore variety, which bends every possible angle to support his incredibly one-sided stories.

To be fair, there are certainly dirty sides of capitalism in need of closer examination. Moore undoubtedly supplies the audiences food for thought in his critique of the system, though in such an absurdly-biased fashion that the film sometimes comes off as more of a satire than anything else. Capitalism has valid entertainment value, so it's worth the price of a movie ticket. Just take it with a grain of salt - or maybe a bucketful.

To watch the trailer or read more about the film, visit www.capitalismalovestory.com.

Rice Adds Women’s Golf with Alumna Donation

Three months after the reinstatement of Rice’s diving team, athletic director Tommy McClelland announced a second sport coming to South Main in the near future. Rice will have a women’s golf team starting in the 2026-27 academic year.