Friday, May 17, 2024 — Houston, TX

No shortage of laughs in RMT's Recession

By Claire Schaffer     9/17/09 7:00pm

Have you ever dreamed of dressing up fancy for a night on the town? Do you like to laugh at people? Is your grandmother going to be bored this weekend?If you answered "yes" to any of the above questions, a heavy dose of quality theater may be in order. The Lighter Side of the Recession opened this month at Radio Music Theatre, and not only is it a fantastic show but, in the spirit of its title, admission is free for Rice staff and students for select shows through the end of the month.

The performance is comprised of a healthy portion of low-calorie, high-protein - and sometimes slightly naughty - humor that will reach all ages and will quickly have you and your not-so-bored grandmother rolling on the floor.

Featuring Steve Farrell as the unsuccessful and somewhat pitiable Mack Sloan, a private eye who can't help but spout a Humphrey Bogart-esque voiceover narration for every detail of his life, the plot revolves around his sudden employment by mysterious moneybags Delmer Lutz. Sloan's task: seduce Lutz's wife by pretending to be Moroccan. Complete with fez and a little tune that more-than-vaguely resembles "As Time Goes By," the protagonist soon finds that his questionable accent and amateur sleuth methods reap amusing consequences quite unlike the monetary and physical rewards he had hoped for.

Also included in the two-act, hour-and-a-half show are an audience-interactive improvisational bit, a short motion picture - Panjo the Giant Dog of Tokyo, which was featured on "Saturday Night Live" - and a parable about the consequences of lying, starring the "Singing Fertle Family."

The three actors - Farrell, Vicki Farrell and Rich Mills - create theatrical magic by donning numerous personae, complete with crazy accents, wacky affectations and impeccable comedic timing. In the course of the first act alone, Farrell alternates between the guises of a private eye, a husband with road rage, a conservative senator and an effusive furniture salesman named Uncle Dan.

Although it is already impressive to watch the actors undergo physical transformation through costume, these three are so talented that they have each mastered a variety of musical instruments. Many of the sketches contain catchy, upbeat and original songs that perfectly garnish an already-memorable show.

Part of the show's charm lies in the venue. Radio Music Theatre, the Farrells' brainchild, started in 1985, and the founders take an active role in the productions, writing the plays and music. Accompanied in his comedic mischief by his wife Vicki Farrell and theater technicians Mark Cain and Pat Southard, Steve Farrell has since upgraded RMT's location and taken on Mills.

Having appeared on "Saturday Night Live," MTV's "Pirate Television" and NBC's "The Today Show," this talented group has made RMT a staple of the Houston comedy scene, producing over 20 original shows.

It will be an impressive feat if these upcoming shows can match the wit and appeal of Recession. Of course, they also provide you with the opportunity to dress up, so why should you say no?

COMING SOON

Radio Music Theatre

Next in line on the playbill is A Fertle Holiday, which opens Nov. 27. A lovable but dysfunctional group based in Dumpster, Texas, the Singing Fertle Family stars in over half the company's comedies, including Wiener Day at the Rollercade and I Love You But You're Sitting on My Cat.

RMT will shut down in 2011, so it's important to stock up on hilarity-filled memories with blonde bombshell Bridgette Fertle, her slightly-retarded cousin Earl and incomprehensible preacher Doc Moore while they are still available.

The cozy venue is located off Kirby near Richmond. Reservations are mandatory; call (713) 522-7722 and mention that you are with Rice.

Shows run Thursdays and Fridays at 8:30 p.m. and Saturdays at 8 p.m. and 10:30 p.m. Free admission is only available for Thursdays and the late show on Saturdays. Regular tickets are $24. Formal dress is not required.

For optimal effectiveness, doses of Radio Music Theatre comedy should be accompanied by crunchy snack mix and hot chocolate topped with whipped cream.